Harter leads Spartans with two wins at Lycoming, but squad returns home winless

Ben Yavitt

Issue date: 1/21/11 Section: Sports
  • Page 1 of 2 next >
After two days of tough competition, the Case Western Reserve University wrestling team returned from the Budd Whitehill Dual ready to continue the season. The Spartans wrestled three nationally ranked teams over the weekend at the prestigious tournament hosted by Lycoming College in Williamsport, Pa. On Friday, Jan.14, the Spartans faced No. 22 Ohio Northern University and No. 21 Springfield College, falling 52-0 and 49-0. Later in the day, CWRU lost to No. 29 Messiah College 47-4. On the second day of competition, The Spartans wrestled against area rival Muskingum University, losing 36-9.

The Budd Whitehill Duals have offered an exciting competition for DIII schools for the past 23 years. Named after famous Lycoming Wrestling coach Budd Whitehill, the tournament is laid out in dual meet format. Teams go head to head, and advance through the bracket as teams rather than individuals. Since 1996, Lycoming College has hosted the tournament, which often showcases some of the best talent in the country. CWRU's best finish at the tournament in 2007, when the Spartans finished 7th with a 3-2 record.

No. 22 ONU proved to outmatch the Spartans as they opened play in the tournament. The Polar Bears pinned five Spartan wrestlers. In the 165-lb weight class, senior Clay Criss wrestled strong against ONU's Luke Miller, but lost by decision 5-0. Luke Miller is ranked No.1 nationally in the 165-lb weight class. The Spartans also forfeited in the 141- and the 197-lb weight classes.

Later on in the tournament, the Spartans again came up short against No. 21 Springfield College. Freshmen Victor Pan and Frank Hu were pinned early in the first period in the 125- and the 133-lb weight class, respectively. Freshman Brian Snyder wrestled up a weight class, losing to the Pride's Corey Kozimar by major decision 13-0. In the 157-lb weight class, junior Kyle Weaver wrestled very strong against Devin Biscaha but lost 7-1.

To finish off the day, the Spartans fell against No. 29 Messiah College. The highlight of the match was junior Cale Harter's dominating performance in the 285-lb weight class. Harter notched CWRU's first points of the tournament, beating the Falcons' Zane Bachart by major decision, 13-0.
Continued...
Page 1 of 2 next >

• CWRU loses distinguished professor
  • Nell Irvin Painter comes to CWRU
  • Simplify your student loan debt
  • Students turn out in numbers for Greek recruitment
  • Zeta Beta Tau fraternity moves into new home

• Harter leads Spartans with two wins at Lycoming, but squad returns home winless
  • Lady Spartans tip off UAA play with three wins
  • Men rebound from poor start to take top spot in UAA
  • The Observer tackles the final hurdle leading up to the Super Bowl

• Editorial: New resolutions for old problems
  • Resolved to Responsibility
  • Second amendment remedies: Or, what a difference a comma makes

• A Trip to Cleveland's Asiatown
  • CMA's Treasures of Heaven exhibit artfully displays human body parts
  • Drink Up Buttercup
  • Getting creative in love
  • New Year's Resolutions
  • ShowCASE continues philanthropic streak with live campus-centric music
  • Strangers unite for dancing flash mob to promote Cleveland Play House production Backwards in High Heels
  • Surprises abound at Film Society's 36th Annual Sci-Fi Movie Marathon
  • Two heavyweight Oscar contenders in review