Editorial: New resolutions for old problems

As a new year and semester dawns on the campus of Case Western Reserve University, we wonder what New Year's resolutions the university community might be making. Overall, we're sure CWRU will continue its resolution to think beyond the possible - and we hope that others in the community will resolve to do the same.

Woe are the student groups that try to reserve rooms on this campus. From reservation mixups and so-so service at The Spot to locked rooms in Carlton, the problem of already limited meeting space is compounded by bureaucracy and a lack of communication. Although additional meeting space is unlikely to be created in 2011, we think CWRU student organizations everywhere would appreciate the resolution to make reserving and using university meeting space a more trustworthy, accountable process. As the student body continues to grow in size and activity, the creation of a more positive relationship between facility managers and student organizations is going to be necessary in 2011.

The Career Center should also be sure to set some new resolutions this year. Thanks to a grim job market and ever-intensifying graduate school admissions, CWRU students are looking to set themselves far apart from other job applicants, both in the quality of their applications and the quantity of apps sent out. We hope to see a wider variety of employers interviewing on campus as well as attending the career fair. One of the chief complaints from students is that there are never enough employers looking to hire non-engineers or business majors. We're not sure who these employers are (or if they're hiring), but we hope that the Career Center will find them in 2011.

CWRU students shouldn't be without resolutions either. We hope that students have taken to heart the resolution to become more involved on campus. Last fall, more than 1000 students voted in the Homecoming royalty race and more than 1000 attended Thwing Study Over. This semester, over 200 women were registered for sorority recruitment as of the beginning of this week and Omega Tau Zeta colonized - the second Greek chapter to do so within five months. Gone are the days of resolving ourselves to the stereotype of awkward and antisocial bookworms. Instead, we see CWRU students resolving to have it all - great grades, a strong social and extracurricular life, and a richer, more meaningful college experience.

Finally, the Uptown Project developers have surely resolved to move along as quickly as possible - which is great for younger CWRU students. A Barnes & Noble could open on the north side of Euclid Avenue as early as this fall. The progress of this long hoped-for project is heartening not just for CWRU, but also for Cleveland as a whole. As a city that's been home to dozens of old problems over the years, we hope that the Uptown Project's transformation from concept to reality is a positive sign for Cleveland's 2011.

• CWRU loses distinguished professor
  • Nell Irvin Painter comes to CWRU
  • Simplify your student loan debt
  • Students turn out in numbers for Greek recruitment
  • Zeta Beta Tau fraternity moves into new home

• Harter leads Spartans with two wins at Lycoming, but squad returns home winless
  • Lady Spartans tip off UAA play with three wins
  • Men rebound from poor start to take top spot in UAA
  • The Observer tackles the final hurdle leading up to the Super Bowl

• Editorial: New resolutions for old problems
  • Resolved to Responsibility
  • Second amendment remedies: Or, what a difference a comma makes

• A Trip to Cleveland's Asiatown
  • CMA's Treasures of Heaven exhibit artfully displays human body parts
  • Drink Up Buttercup
  • Getting creative in love
  • New Year's Resolutions
  • ShowCASE continues philanthropic streak with live campus-centric music
  • Strangers unite for dancing flash mob to promote Cleveland Play House production Backwards in High Heels
  • Surprises abound at Film Society's 36th Annual Sci-Fi Movie Marathon
  • Two heavyweight Oscar contenders in review