Zeta Beta Tau fraternity moves into new home

Bryden Spevak

For the brothers of the Lambda chapter of Zeta Beta Tau fraternity (ZBT), the start of 2011 has been a time for change. With a new house and new brothers following this semester's rush, ZBT is a fraternity in transition. After evacuating their old home for safety reasons and spending an entire semester in Clarke Tower, the brothers have finally begun to settle into their brand new house, mixed feelings in tow.

New chapter president James Morgan has been working hard to make the move as smooth as possible for the chapter. "It's tough," he said. "I've been up here a lot getting this stuff going. Some people say they don't like the suites, but people get used to it."

The new house has been in the works since the end of spring 2010, but when asbestos was discovered in the brothers' old home on Bellflower Road at the beginning of the fall semester, the moving process was accelerated. Sophomore Danny Preston had lived in the ZBT house for only one day before he was made to leave.

"They came in the house and told us we had to leave right away. We had nowhere to go [at first] . . .We didn't have anything." The brothers were each allowed to take one bag of their belongings out of the house, but had to wait for the rest until the house had been inspected. "I couldn't get the rest of my stuff for two weeks after that," said Preston. Much of their chapter belongings still remain in storage.

Nestled between the Delta Tau Delta and Alpha Phi houses on Magnolia Road, the house currently accommodates 35 brothers on two floors. Though is is very different from the significantly older ZBT house, the brothers are generally hopeful about the change.

"It's pretty great; we're working on making it into a home," said Preston. Junior Rohit Mathew added, "It's a lot of fun. Living in the house is pretty sweet."

But with the new house also come new rules. "We're not allowed to paint, not allowed to do anything like that," according to Morgan. "We have a property manager that comes every week. And [Greek Life representatives] said they'd be over two or three times throughout the semester." Though accompanied with stricter regulations, the house has so far proved somewhat useful as a new headquarters for ZBT rush events. "It's helpful, because who wouldn't want to live here?" said Morgan. "But we have to be careful, too, because we don't want to get people who just want to live in the house, you know? It's kind of like a catch-22."

Only time will tell how the new house bodes for the men of ZBT. The old house was undoubtedly close to the brothers' hearts. "[It] had so much character," said Preston. "I just miss all the really outrageous things that went down in the house. It was more of a home." Yet despite the nostalgia, most brothers seem excited at the prospects of a fresh start. "I've been here since the Wednesday before classes started," said Morgan. "It feels like home now."

• CWRU loses distinguished professor
  • Nell Irvin Painter comes to CWRU
  • Simplify your student loan debt
  • Students turn out in numbers for Greek recruitment
  • Zeta Beta Tau fraternity moves into new home

• Harter leads Spartans with two wins at Lycoming, but squad returns home winless
  • Lady Spartans tip off UAA play with three wins
  • Men rebound from poor start to take top spot in UAA
  • The Observer tackles the final hurdle leading up to the Super Bowl

• Editorial: New resolutions for old problems
  • Resolved to Responsibility
  • Second amendment remedies: Or, what a difference a comma makes

• A Trip to Cleveland's Asiatown
  • CMA's Treasures of Heaven exhibit artfully displays human body parts
  • Drink Up Buttercup
  • Getting creative in love
  • New Year's Resolutions
  • ShowCASE continues philanthropic streak with live campus-centric music
  • Strangers unite for dancing flash mob to promote Cleveland Play House production Backwards in High Heels
  • Surprises abound at Film Society's 36th Annual Sci-Fi Movie Marathon
  • Two heavyweight Oscar contenders in review