Simplify your student loan debt

Bill Boyer

• Page 1 of 2 next >
In 2009, the average student graduating from a four-year private university left school with over $27,000 in student loan debt. There are very few ways to get out of actually paying off student loans, including joining the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, some teaching programs, or the military, or by dying. But even declaring personal bankruptcy does not relieve you of this tremendous burden. Essentially, this means that your options are limited: saving the world, dying, or paying back the loans.

Assuming you have decided to pay off the debt, understanding the details of student loans will make the repayment process less overwhelming. There are three major types of federal loans you may have: Federal Perkins loans, Federal Subsidized Stafford loans, and Federal Unsubsidized Stafford loans. For each of these loans, there is a six-month grace period after graduating, during which you do not have to pay anything on subsidized loans and only have to pay interest on unsubsidized loans (the principal is the original amount you borrowed and interest is the cost of borrowing). There are also private loans, which will be discussed later.

The first major decision want to make upon graduating is if you are going to consolidate your loans. After you graduate, you will probably get flooded with letters offering to consolidate your student loans (you are only eligible to do this after you graduate). Consolidating your student loans means bundling all of your loans with a single lender and payment plan. This may lower your total monthly payment due, but will extend the terms of the loan and result in paying more interest in the long run. Despite the lengthened payment period, consolidation can still be very useful in some instances.

The decision of whether or not to consolidate is more difficult than in previous years due to higher interest rates. While there are many considerations, there are several specific items that are especially important (use FinAid.org to continue your research):
Continued...
Page 1 of 2 next >

• CWRU loses distinguished professor
  • Nell Irvin Painter comes to CWRU
  • Simplify your student loan debt
  • Students turn out in numbers for Greek recruitment
  • Zeta Beta Tau fraternity moves into new home

• Harter leads Spartans with two wins at Lycoming, but squad returns home winless
  • Lady Spartans tip off UAA play with three wins
  • Men rebound from poor start to take top spot in UAA
  • The Observer tackles the final hurdle leading up to the Super Bowl

• Editorial: New resolutions for old problems
  • Resolved to Responsibility
  • Second amendment remedies: Or, what a difference a comma makes

• A Trip to Cleveland's Asiatown
  • CMA's Treasures of Heaven exhibit artfully displays human body parts
  • Drink Up Buttercup
  • Getting creative in love
  • New Year's Resolutions
  • ShowCASE continues philanthropic streak with live campus-centric music
  • Strangers unite for dancing flash mob to promote Cleveland Play House production Backwards in High Heels
  • Surprises abound at Film Society's 36th Annual Sci-Fi Movie Marathon
  • Two heavyweight Oscar contenders in review