CWRU loses distinguished professor

Dr. Mark Smith, father of two, killed in hit-and-run

Tyler Hoffman

• Page 1 of 2 next >
"His passing is a tragic loss for our community. Mark will remain in our hearts and serve as an inspiration in our pursuit to advance the health of humankind," said School of Medicine dean Pamela B. Davis in a letter to the school's faculty and staff regarding the sudden death of professor Mark Smith.

On the morning of Dec. 19, 2010, beloved CWRU School of Medicine professor and researcher Mark Smith was killed in a hit-and-run accident. The accident occurred as Professor Smith was walking home after a visit to a local tavern in Bainbridge Township. However, friends and colleagues agree that Smith will not be remembered by the tragedy, but by the research, mentoring, and dedication throughout his life.

Professor Smith completed his undergraduate education in England, earning his B.Sc. and graduating with honors in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry from Hatfield College in 1986. He earned his Ph.D. in Biochemistry at Nottingham University in 1990. Smith then traveled to Vienna, Austria where he spent two years as a research fellow. It was in 1992 that Smith joined the CWRU community.

At the School of Medicine, Dr. Smith was a professor of pathology and the director of Basic Science Research at the Memory and Cognition Center. He also served as editor-in-chief for the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and was the executive director of of the American Aging Association.

Alzheimer's and other neurodegenerative diseases became the primary focus of Smith's research at CWRU. His work not only sought to aid in the diagnosis of such ailments, but in the discovery of therapies as well. He was specifically interested in what caused neurons to stop functioning.

He authored over 800 peer-reviewed manuscripts and chapters, and has have been cited in over 21,000 instances, making him one of the most cited and published researchers in several fields of study.

This past summer, Professor Smith was described as a "renegade researcher" by Forbes magazine. The title stemmed from his disagreement with other researchers regarding the best way to slow Alzheimer's Disease. The magazine went on to give him credit for predicting a major drug trial demise two years before its actual failure.
Continued...
Page 1 of 2 next >

• CWRU loses distinguished professor
  • Nell Irvin Painter comes to CWRU
  • Simplify your student loan debt
  • Students turn out in numbers for Greek recruitment
  • Zeta Beta Tau fraternity moves into new home

• Harter leads Spartans with two wins at Lycoming, but squad returns home winless
  • Lady Spartans tip off UAA play with three wins
  • Men rebound from poor start to take top spot in UAA
  • The Observer tackles the final hurdle leading up to the Super Bowl

• Editorial: New resolutions for old problems
  • Resolved to Responsibility
  • Second amendment remedies: Or, what a difference a comma makes

• A Trip to Cleveland's Asiatown
  • CMA's Treasures of Heaven exhibit artfully displays human body parts
  • Drink Up Buttercup
  • Getting creative in love
  • New Year's Resolutions
  • ShowCASE continues philanthropic streak with live campus-centric music
  • Strangers unite for dancing flash mob to promote Cleveland Play House production Backwards in High Heels
  • Surprises abound at Film Society's 36th Annual Sci-Fi Movie Marathon
  • Two heavyweight Oscar contenders in review