A Trip to Cleveland's Asiatown

Melanie Sayre

• Page 1 of 2 next >
Finding good places to visit is much like sightseeing in a new country. Often times, the best places are not the popular ones that you can find with a ten-second Google search, but are things that local residents have to direct you to. AsiaTown, or, more commonly known as, Cleveland's Chinatown, is definitely one of those places.

Being a small area compared to many other cultural districts, this place often slips from our attention. It almost fits in the area bounded by St. Clair Ave., Payne Ave., East 30th St., and East 40th St. Most people hardly pay notice to it, as you would have to be looking to find it. In navigating AsiaTown, however, it is all about just knowing where to go.

First things first: If you are looking for food, head to Li Wah on Payne Ave. If you head out on a weekend at noon, be prepared to wait for a little bit, but don't despair; it's worth any wait. Full dishes are served all day, but the real delight - and what the lines result from - is the event that lasts until about 3 in the afternoon: traditional dim sum.

To those unfamiliar, dim sum is almost like an art in Li Wah and other Chinese restaurants. This dim sum is individual portions on small plates, ranging from the common wonton to roasted duck. The servers push carts around filled with categorized food and you pick what you think looks appetizing. The intent, with this setup, is that the customer can have a wide variety of different small dishes in a comfortable environment which is designed to be highly social. That said, if you are eating out, whether it be a date or an outing with friends, dim sum is a fantastic choice, and because of the seemingly endless selection, it never gets old.

If you're not looking for dim sum, or perhaps are heading to AsiaTown too late for the delicacy, other good choices are Bo Loong on St. Clair Ave., which also serves dim sum, and the Garden Café on Payne Ave. #1 Pho, while actually Vietnamese, offers some of the best noodles in the Cleveland area, and is well worth paying a visit.
Continued...
Page 1 of 2 next >

• CWRU loses distinguished professor
  • Nell Irvin Painter comes to CWRU
  • Simplify your student loan debt
  • Students turn out in numbers for Greek recruitment
  • Zeta Beta Tau fraternity moves into new home

• Harter leads Spartans with two wins at Lycoming, but squad returns home winless
  • Lady Spartans tip off UAA play with three wins
  • Men rebound from poor start to take top spot in UAA
  • The Observer tackles the final hurdle leading up to the Super Bowl

• Editorial: New resolutions for old problems
  • Resolved to Responsibility
  • Second amendment remedies: Or, what a difference a comma makes

• A Trip to Cleveland's Asiatown
  • CMA's Treasures of Heaven exhibit artfully displays human body parts
  • Drink Up Buttercup
  • Getting creative in love
  • New Year's Resolutions
  • ShowCASE continues philanthropic streak with live campus-centric music
  • Strangers unite for dancing flash mob to promote Cleveland Play House production Backwards in High Heels
  • Surprises abound at Film Society's 36th Annual Sci-Fi Movie Marathon
  • Two heavyweight Oscar contenders in review