Sports Shorts

Issue date: 12/3/10 Section: Sports
Volleyball: McCutchan named first-team All-American

Junior Tricia McCutchan was selected as a first-team ESPN Academic All-American member. The decision was announced Tuesday, Nov. 30 by the College Sports Information Directors of America. McCutchan, who received second-team Academic All-American status last year, was one of just two juniors to receive Division III first-team honors.

McCutchan is also the only member of the University Athletic Association to receive Academic All-America status.

McCutchan led the Spartans with 529 kills and 136 blocks as the school earned its best UAA finish in school history and its first-ever NCAA Tournament berth. She was named second-team All-UAA for the third season in a row and earned UAA Player of the Week honors twice.

Football: Homyk named finalist for Gagliardi Trophy

Spartan wide receiver Zach Homyk was selected as one of ten finalists for the 2010 Gagliardi Trophy, an award presented annually to the top receiver in NCAA Division III Football.

Homyk's nomination continues a trend of Spartan success: the football team has produced a Gagliardi finalist in each of the past four seasons. Linebacker Tom Brew first received the honor in 2007 and All-American quarterback Dan Whalen was a finalist in both the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

Homyk's performance this year has been legendary. A successful receiver in his first three seasons, Homyk jumped to an entirely new level as he connected with quarterback Joey Baum for school single-season records of 90 receptions for 1,165 yards and 12 touchdowns. Those numbers were good enough for fifth in the nation in receptions per game, seventh in total receiving yards, and ninth in receiving yards per game.

Homyk ends his exceptional Spartan career as the school record-holder in receptions with 211. He also played a significant role on special teams, setting a school record with six blocked kicks.

The wide receiver was also nominated as a semifinalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy, formerly the Draddy Trophy, known as the "Academic Heisman."Homyk was also named to the first-team All-UAA team for the second season and ESPN Academic All-District IV honors.

Football: Doolin and Baum earn Academic All-American honors

Senior Joey Baum and junior defensive end Richard Doolin both received nods on the ESPN Academic All-American team, announced last week by the College Sports Information Directors of America. Doolin earned first-team status while Baum nabbed second-team honors.

Doolin and Baum are two of just 49 football student-athletes who received Academic All-American status each year from Division II, Division III, NAIA, and two-year institutions. The duo continue CWRU's streak of producing at least on honoree in each of the past three years.

Doolin, an accounting major with a 4.0 GPA, is the third Spartan to earn first-team honors in the past three seasons. Doolin tallied 36 tackles and 7.5 sacks in 9 games for the Spartans, missing one due to injury.

Baum, an international studies and political science double-major, with a 3.93 GPA, started all 10 games and topped the UAA in passing in his first year as a starter. Baum connected of 64.8 percent of his passes for 2,446 yards and 23 touchdowns.

• A conversation with Professor Jessica Green
  • Nation's first research-oriented wind turbine constructed near Veale
  • Thwing Study Over to provide students much-needed break this Sunday
  • Transformation on horizon for KSL
  • USG reflects upon accomplishments at last meeting of semester

• Grapplers drop match against rival John Carroll, fall to 0-2
  • Spartans encounter cold spell late in second half, go 0-2 in JCU tournament
  • Spartans place 18th at cross country NCAA championships
  • Sports Shorts
  • Women fall behind early, lose to Baldwin-Wallace

• Fun Page Solutions

• Cleveland provides refugees, volunteers opportunities with Refugee Response program
  • Editorial: Semester Grades
  • There's no 'I' in team - but there is in 'Republican'
  • What are you doing over winter break?

• A look back: best of 2010 entertainment
  • Art history department says goodbye as distinguished professor Dr. Edward Olszewski retires
  • Cleveland writer Susan Streeter Carpenter reads from counter-culture novel Riders on the Storm
  • Magic of Mr. CWRU uses talent, gusto to benefit East Cleveland
  • Our friend Kelvin
  • The art of seduction, part II
  • Two recent film releases: Harry Potter disappoints; Enter the Void intrigues