Spartans encounter cold spell late in second half, go 0-2 in JCU tournament

Kate Clancy

Issue date: 12/3/10 Section: Sports
  • Page 1 of 2 next >
Senior Alex Hildebrandt dribbles through traffic. Hildebrandt had two steals against Bethany last week.
Media Credit: James Hale
After earning a high preseason ranking and taking a win in their season opener, the men's varsity basketball hit a rough patch, dropping the five games following their season opener. Last weekend, the Spartans entered the John Steadman Classic hosted by near by John Carroll University, with a record of 1-3 and the team's two losses brought them to 1-5 overall. The Spartans took on Olivet College Saturday night and after the tough 89-69 loss, the Spartans had to turn around and play in the tournament consolation game against Bethany College and fell again 81-55. In each of the games, the Spartans had a standout player who scored at least 20 points, but cold spells late in the second half would lead to two Spartan losses.

In the first round of the tournament, the first half progressed as the Spartans and Olivet Comets battled while the score remained even. The Spartans quickly fell to 8-2 in the first minutes of the game, until a 10-2 run clinched by a jumper by Robert Scott put them in the lead 11-10. However, after a pair of free throws by the Comets, the Spartans would trail the remainder of the first half. Olivet would extend its lead to 12 points, but the Spartans would go on a scoring frenzy in the final minutes of the half, clinched with a buzzer beater three-pointer by Senior Reid Anderson, putting the Spartans only one point behind, as they entered the locker room losing 39-38.

The Spartans scored the first basket of the half, but Olivet retaliated with an 8-2 run, from which the Spartans would never recover. Senior Eric Duerr would put the Spartans within two points with nine minutes remaining, but Olivet would muscle its way to a 20-point lead by the end of the game. The final score was 89-69.

The Spartans hit six from behind the arc in the first half, but went ice-cold in the second half, only hitting one of eight. Both Olivet and Case Western Reserve University would end the game with shooting percentages in the 40% range, but the game-winner for Olivet was the free throw line. CWRU would accumulate 25 personal fouls and send Olivet to the free throw line 21 times, and they hit 35 of 41 total attempts.
Continued...
Page 1 of 2 next >

• A conversation with Professor Jessica Green
  • Nation's first research-oriented wind turbine constructed near Veale
  • Thwing Study Over to provide students much-needed break this Sunday
  • Transformation on horizon for KSL
  • USG reflects upon accomplishments at last meeting of semester

• Grapplers drop match against rival John Carroll, fall to 0-2
  • Spartans encounter cold spell late in second half, go 0-2 in JCU tournament
  • Spartans place 18th at cross country NCAA championships
  • Sports Shorts
  • Women fall behind early, lose to Baldwin-Wallace

• Fun Page Solutions

• Cleveland provides refugees, volunteers opportunities with Refugee Response program
  • Editorial: Semester Grades
  • There's no 'I' in team - but there is in 'Republican'
  • What are you doing over winter break?

• A look back: best of 2010 entertainment
  • Art history department says goodbye as distinguished professor Dr. Edward Olszewski retires
  • Cleveland writer Susan Streeter Carpenter reads from counter-culture novel Riders on the Storm
  • Magic of Mr. CWRU uses talent, gusto to benefit East Cleveland
  • Our friend Kelvin
  • The art of seduction, part II
  • Two recent film releases: Harry Potter disappoints; Enter the Void intrigues