Transformation on horizon for KSL

Tyler Hoffman

• Page 1 of 3 next >
"We want to get [students] thinking about the library in a different way," associate provost and university librarian Arnold Hirshon explained during an exclusive discussion of the changes ahead for the Kelvin Smith Library (KSL).

Addressing a student competition to redesign the first floor and the upcoming addition of a full-service café, Hirshon stressed the value of transforming this building from simply a place to study to an intellectual center of the university.

A primary part of meeting this goal, the first floor redesign competition gives students a direct opportunity to shape the future of KSL. The library invites students to create teams that will study the needs of CWRU undergraduate and graduate students, staff, and faculty. However, teams must consist of more than one individual. Following their assessment of the university population, the teams will then work to devise the most cost-effective, inspired, and practical plan for the redesign.

Concluding with a presentation to an evaluation panel, the team considered to have the best comprehensive plan will be awarded the first prize of $2500. The number of submissions to the competition will determine the number of total prizes awarded.

"Ideally I'd like to see graduate and undergraduate students involved in these teams. We encourage diversity within teams, such as two undergraduates from interdisciplinary backgrounds, along with students from other area institutions, such as the Cleveland Institute of Art, to participate in this process," Hirshon said.

For the most part, students will have a blank canvas with which to create their visions. "This building was designed 20 years ago and opened up 14 years ago - it was designed for flexibility and we should take advantage of that flexibility," he added.

Pointing out empty shelves in parts of the first floor, Hirshon stressed the importance of reworking space in the library. "Teams should consider what needs to be on the first floor, what services do we need to provide in general, and what should we consider eliminating," he said. It is through these decisions that teams can reach out to the university community for guidance.
Continued...
Page 1 of 3 next >

• A conversation with Professor Jessica Green
  • Nation's first research-oriented wind turbine constructed near Veale
  • Thwing Study Over to provide students much-needed break this Sunday
  • Transformation on horizon for KSL
  • USG reflects upon accomplishments at last meeting of semester

• Grapplers drop match against rival John Carroll, fall to 0-2
  • Spartans encounter cold spell late in second half, go 0-2 in JCU tournament
  • Spartans place 18th at cross country NCAA championships
  • Sports Shorts
  • Women fall behind early, lose to Baldwin-Wallace

• Fun Page Solutions

• Cleveland provides refugees, volunteers opportunities with Refugee Response program
  • Editorial: Semester Grades
  • There's no 'I' in team - but there is in 'Republican'
  • What are you doing over winter break?

• A look back: best of 2010 entertainment
  • Art history department says goodbye as distinguished professor Dr. Edward Olszewski retires
  • Cleveland writer Susan Streeter Carpenter reads from counter-culture novel Riders on the Storm
  • Magic of Mr. CWRU uses talent, gusto to benefit East Cleveland
  • Our friend Kelvin
  • The art of seduction, part II
  • Two recent film releases: Harry Potter disappoints; Enter the Void intrigues