Thwing Study Over to provide students much-needed break this Sunday

Sage Schaff

Thwing Study Over (TSO) is back again for fall 2010. Students looking for some last minute relaxation before the onslaught of final exams will find a wide array of options this Sunday, Dec. 5, in Thwing Center. The event will run from 8 p.m. to midnight, with food arriving every half hour from area favorites, such as Tommy's, Pizza BOGO, Jimmy John's, Dunkin Donuts, and the Cheesecake Factory.

"The student body expects a place where they can go to get their mind off of finals and get a lot of free food," said junior Colleen Hosler, one of the event's committee members. "I feel like most students come for the food and are pleasantly surprised with everything else that is offered."

Like last semester, 1-2-1 Fitness will be offering free massages in the Spartan room to all who sign up on TSO's website. Undergraduate Student Government (USG) will also be there with proposals for the new University Student Center design. Students can offer feedback on the current design options while enjoying USG's root beer keg. The University Program Board will be sponsoring a henna artist, spin art, and a photo booth. Other activities include make-your-own stressball, LEGOs, and poker.

While TSO presents a chance for students to shift their attention away from work, its organizers will be gathering data and feedback all throughout the evening. Attendees must swipe their ID cards not just to gain access to the wealth of free food, but also to let the committee know what kinds of students are here. Compiling demographic information such as male-to-female ratio and underclassmen vs. upperclassmen attendance is important for future planning. It enables the committee to tailor TSO's assortment of activities to attract the most students possible. Those who swipe their ID cards will also be emailed feedback forms to facilitate planning for the spring edition.

Attendance is expected to be comparable to the past few semesters', but this time students may have an extra incentive to attend. "Since TSO is the evening before a reading day this year, no one should have the excuse that they have a final the next morning," Hosler said.

Sunday's TSO offers more activities and involves more student organizations than ever before. Not only can students enjoy a brief respite from laboring over all they've learned this semester, but they can also help direct Case Western Reserve University history by helping select the design for the Student Center. So take a break from studying, indulge in the expanse of free food and drinks, and relax while you still can.

• A conversation with Professor Jessica Green
  • Nation's first research-oriented wind turbine constructed near Veale
  • Thwing Study Over to provide students much-needed break this Sunday
  • Transformation on horizon for KSL
  • USG reflects upon accomplishments at last meeting of semester

• Grapplers drop match against rival John Carroll, fall to 0-2
  • Spartans encounter cold spell late in second half, go 0-2 in JCU tournament
  • Spartans place 18th at cross country NCAA championships
  • Sports Shorts
  • Women fall behind early, lose to Baldwin-Wallace

• Fun Page Solutions

• Cleveland provides refugees, volunteers opportunities with Refugee Response program
  • Editorial: Semester Grades
  • There's no 'I' in team - but there is in 'Republican'
  • What are you doing over winter break?

• A look back: best of 2010 entertainment
  • Art history department says goodbye as distinguished professor Dr. Edward Olszewski retires
  • Cleveland writer Susan Streeter Carpenter reads from counter-culture novel Riders on the Storm
  • Magic of Mr. CWRU uses talent, gusto to benefit East Cleveland
  • Our friend Kelvin
  • The art of seduction, part II
  • Two recent film releases: Harry Potter disappoints; Enter the Void intrigues