Our friend Kelvin

Worst Case Scenario

John Cleaver

As the dreaded finals approach, I would like to send a shout out to the kind person who decided he was too good for a cubicle or table in the third floor reading room of Kelvin Smith library. Thank you, d-bag, for taking the group study room and making it your own personal lounge space.

In all honesty, the library has to be one of the most bizarre places on any college campus, but especially here at Case Western.

Take, for example, the librarian who didn't get the memo that he works in a library. If you have ever felt the need to study on the first floor, do not get too comfortable because it seems he wants everyone to overhear his conversations.

If the loud librarian annoyed you, I can't imagine how you feel about the constant use of the elevator to get to the second and third floors. Every 30 seconds I feel like I'm listening to the end of a Southwest Airlines commercial. And how about the recent searches being projected on the wall over the elevators? I'm not sure what it's trying to tell me, but it's both mesmerizing and annoying at the same time.

Or how about the student fixtures, err people I mean, at the study desks on the first floor? These people appear to have molded their bodies into the seats and have a vast array of coffee, soda, energy drinks, and snacks to last them the semester.

Now that finals are coming up, I have decided to try to avoid the library at peak times. In my experience, the library becomes more of a social scene during finals than an actual study area.

Think about it: during midterms or finals you always end up talking to someone about nothing in order to procrastinate. Instead of a reading room, it becomes a talking room and the whole need to leave the dorm just became a moot point.

The third floor reading room could be the Case Western circus. When you walk in, it is apparently essential that you walk around the entire floor to get a lay of the land. I don't think people intend to sit down on this first walk-through, but they want to see what's available and who's there. Then, after you realize that the group study rooms are taken and the tables are full (which is always true; why even try looking?), you resign yourself to a lonely personal studying cubicle with lame lighting.

Sadly, our friend without benefits, Kelvin Smith, also did a poor job decorating his large, prison-like academic center. If you weren't told the structure was a library, your first thought would probably be insane asylum. The dinky sculpture on the first floor doesn't compare to the random campus artwork, and the portraits of dead men adorning every room create a morbid feeling - especially late at night.

Regardless of Kelvin Smith's odd quirks, he is still our most dependable 24-hour friend, and, luckily, he'll be here again this year to move his stacks for research and to hold our hands during those treacherous all-nighters.

• A conversation with Professor Jessica Green
  • Nation's first research-oriented wind turbine constructed near Veale
  • Thwing Study Over to provide students much-needed break this Sunday
  • Transformation on horizon for KSL
  • USG reflects upon accomplishments at last meeting of semester

• Grapplers drop match against rival John Carroll, fall to 0-2
  • Spartans encounter cold spell late in second half, go 0-2 in JCU tournament
  • Spartans place 18th at cross country NCAA championships
  • Sports Shorts
  • Women fall behind early, lose to Baldwin-Wallace

• Fun Page Solutions

• Cleveland provides refugees, volunteers opportunities with Refugee Response program
  • Editorial: Semester Grades
  • There's no 'I' in team - but there is in 'Republican'
  • What are you doing over winter break?

• A look back: best of 2010 entertainment
  • Art history department says goodbye as distinguished professor Dr. Edward Olszewski retires
  • Cleveland writer Susan Streeter Carpenter reads from counter-culture novel Riders on the Storm
  • Magic of Mr. CWRU uses talent, gusto to benefit East Cleveland
  • Our friend Kelvin
  • The art of seduction, part II
  • Two recent film releases: Harry Potter disappoints; Enter the Void intrigues