Magic of Mr. CWRU uses talent, gusto to benefit East Cleveland

Melanie Sayre

The participants of Mr. CWRU competed in a representative costume segment of the contest, among others.
At 7:30 p.m. on the cold Friday night of Nov. 19, magic was happening in Schmitt Auditorium. People were buzzing with excitement about Sigma Psi's Mr. CWRU. The mock male beauty pageant fundraised this year for the East Cleveland Neighborhood Center, with the theme of "Do You Believe in the Magic of Mr. CWRU?"

Ali Orlando, one of the sisters of Sigma Psi, noted the diversity of this year's contenders. "We welcome any contestants that want to sign up. There is an application for information that we use as a part of the show."

With 17 participants this year, the night had to get underway quickly. After a round of introductions, each contestant was called up in turn with their "representative costume" symbolizing their respective group. From the Fencing Club to Murray Hill RHA to numerous fraternities on campus, everyone was given a chance to represent.

Mr. Congeniality was awarded to Drew Borland, and the first of the many raffles of the night began. While the raffles were appreciated by the crowd, it was noted by many that it made the night much longer than necessary. "It felt a bit long, and there wasn't much to do while waiting," said CWRU sophomore Katie Borsh.

After the break, the event continued with beachwear, where the men truly showed their spirit, fully equipped with shirt-ripping and vampires. The Mr. Photogenic award was awarded to Justin Wilkins, the aforementioned shirt-ripper.

Following another break of raffles was formal wear, the awards for Mr. Macho, and the highest score for beachwear. Eight contestants then were informed that they would go, with Steve Binzel as the judge's pick thus far.

Each of the remaining contestants then performed their talent for the crowd. This turned out to be the defining point of the evening, as Phi Mu's David Holcomb's performance of "Piano Man," with the keyboard, harmonica, and vocal talent, earned him the one and only standing ovation of the night. Orlando also noted, "[this] was my favorite part of the event."

The finalists, Holcomb, Sean Sukys of Murray Hill RHA, DJ Brodsky of Phi Kappa Psi, Wilkins of Sigma Chi, and Binzel of Phi Sigma Rho, were then asked an impromptu question: "Who would be your favorite superhero and why?" This produced responses from Captain Planet to Batman.

Raising over $2600, the event was nothing short of an accomplishment. Orlando said, "I think anyone who came had a good time or was at least amused at some point," said Orlando. Borsh also added, "I think I would definitely go again. It was a fun way to spend a Friday night."

David Holcomb ended up coming out on top, with the honor of being 2010's Mr. CWRU. Binzel came in first runner up and Wilkins received second runner up.

As Abbott Veldhuizen, Theta Chi's contestant, commented during the beachwear competition, "There are some who are born to be Mr. CWRU, some who are destined to achieve it, and some who have it thrust upon them."

Viewing Comments 1 - 1 of 1

Lucy

posted 12/06/10 @ 3:27 AM EST

I think that this is another fun and exciting way of a fund raising event. The twist of the pageant having male contestants of CRWU made it really interesting especially in the talent and Q&A portion. (Continued…)

Details   Reply to this comment

Post a Comment

• A conversation with Professor Jessica Green
    • Nation's first research-oriented wind turbine constructed near Veale
    • Thwing Study Over to provide students much-needed break this Sunday
    • Transformation on horizon for KSL
    • USG reflects upon accomplishments at last meeting of semester

• Grapplers drop match against rival John Carroll, fall to 0-2
    • Spartans encounter cold spell late in second half, go 0-2 in JCU tournament
    • Spartans place 18th at cross country NCAA championships
    • Sports Shorts
    • Women fall behind early, lose to Baldwin-Wallace

• Fun Page Solutions

• Cleveland provides refugees, volunteers opportunities with Refugee Response program
    • Editorial: Semester Grades
    • There's no 'I' in team - but there is in 'Republican'
    • What are you doing over winter break?

• A look back: best of 2010 entertainment
    • Art history department says goodbye as distinguished professor Dr. Edward Olszewski retires
    • Cleveland writer Susan Streeter Carpenter reads from counter-culture novel Riders on the Storm
    • Magic of Mr. CWRU uses talent, gusto to benefit East Cleveland
    • Our friend Kelvin
    • The art of seduction, part II
    • Two recent film releases: Harry Potter disappoints; Enter the Void intrigues