Women to improve winning season, sixth-place finish

Nora Fitzgerald

Issue date: 11/19/10 Section: Sports
Junior Erin Hollinger shoots despite being double-teamed. Hollinger led the Spartans with a game-high 23 points.
The Case Western Reserve women's basketball team is eager to begin play in the 2010-11 season. Seeking their third winning season in four years, the Spartans are coming off a 13-12 finish last year and look to continue this performance.

The Spartans have their eyes on improving on last year's sixth-place place finish in the University Athletic Association (UAA). The goal is by no means an easy one- the Spartans graduated the fourth highest scorer in team history and are currently ranked seventh in the UAA preseason coaches' poll.

Head coach Jennifer Reimer isn't concerned and has high ambitions for her players. Her ultimate goal is for the team to finish in the top four of the conference, but she understands this is no easy task.

"The UAA is consistently the strongest conference in Division III and each year we work towards improving," said Reimer. "Our upperclassmen have put in the work during the off-season to improve their shooting and their strength. We feel if we can be at the top of our game defensively, score as a result of our defensive pressure, and improve our rebounding statistics from last year, we'll have a successful season."

Although conference opener on Jan. 8 at Carnegie Mellon University is fast approaching, the team keeps its focus on practicing hard and preparing both mentally and physically for the non-conference season. Coach Reimer stresses that the team plays hard everyday at practice.

"This season, we're really focused on taking one day at a time. So in terms of expectations, we expect to get better every single day. Tomorrow we will be better than we were today. Obviously, we're always looking to make the tournament, but we're really focusing on not getting too caught up in the big picture and working to better ourselves every day," said sophomore center Emily Mueller.

Despite losing star guard Ashleigh Tondo, who graduated last May as the fourth highest scorer in school history, the team is ready to move forward. Caitlyn Henry, the team's sole senior, will lead the Spartans this year both on and off the court. Last season, Henry averaged 11.9 points per game and started in 23 games. She has a dominating presence on the floor, as both a vocal leader and a strong player.

Besides Henry, the team returns three other starters from last year's squad: Erin Hollinger, Evy Iacono, and Erica Iafelice. Junior forward Erin Hollinger averaged 14.2 points per game last season and was named to the first-team all-UAA last season. Not only is she a scorer, but her 49 blocks were tops in the UAA last season.

Furthermore, sophomore guards Evy Iancono (11 ppg) and Erica Iafelice (4.4 ppg) both started as freshmen last year and will continue to play a large role for the Spartans. Iancono and Iafelice were both prominent defensive players last year, tallying 49 and 57 steals respectively.

• A conversation with Divya Aggarwal
  • Adiós, Four Loko
  • Faculty Forum addresses questions surrounding core curriculum
  • International student programs make strides, issues remain

• Football thumps Tartans on senior day, win Academic Bowl
  • Men drown competition, win Veale classic; women split
  • Men seeded second in UAA, eye historic season
  • Spartan women third, men seventh at NCAA Division III Great Lakes Regional
  • Spartans drop first dual meet against Baldwin-Wallace
  • Volleyball returns home from their first NCAA Championship satisfied and yearning for more
  • Women to improve winning season, sixth-place finish

• Editorial: Unwilling to think beyond the possible
  • Leading by examples: bullying starts - and ends - with parents
  • Whores no more: the case for legalizing prostitution

• Atlantic/Pacific
  • CARES hosts vegan feast, panel in hopes of debunking myths, addressing concerns
  • Documentary Inside Job a frightening account of current financial crisis
  • Gold Motel speaks on album, artistic processes
  • Music department caps semester with variety of concerts
  • Pizza! Pizza!
  • Sigma Psi to create "magic" with 32nd Mr. CWRU
  • Students blur gender lines in eighth annual Drag Ball
  • The rules of attraction
  • Who's wearing the pants?