Football thumps Tartans on senior day, win Academic Bowl

Issue date: 11/19/10 Section: Sports
The Spartans line up in their final UAA game. Case Western Reserve University fell short in their quest for their fourth straight UAA title. The University of Chicago defeated Washington University 13-10 to win their first title in five years.
Senior wide receiver Zach Homyk became Case Western Reserve University's all-time leading receiver as the Spartans closed out the season with a 28-0 victory versus Carnegie Mellon University in the 25th annual Academic Bowl on Saturday, Nov. 13 at Case Field.

With the win, the Spartans finish the season at 8-2 overall and 1-2 in the University Athletic Association (UAA). The 15 Spartan seniors honored before kickoff finish their careers with a combined regular season record of 38-2. With the loss, Carnegie Mellon finishes its year at 4-6 overall and 0-3 in the UAA.

Homyk set the all-time career record for receptions (211) and single-season receiving yards (1,165) and tied his own mark for receiving scores (12) in a season. In addition, he ends his career with the school record for receptions in a season (90).

In addition, senior wide receiver Shaun Nicely recorded his 31st career receiving touchdown, tying the CWRU record, and senior quarterback Joey Baum completed 21 of 29 passes for 237 yards and three TDs.

The two teams played to a scoreless first quarter, but the Spartans opened the second with an 11-play, 60-yard drive that ended in an eight-yard touchdown run by senior Derek Bush. The point after by senior placekicker Sam Coffey made the score 7-0 with 11:15 remaining in the half.

The Spartan defense forced a fumble on the ensuing possession and the offense capitalized with an 8-play, 49-yard drive culminating in a 0-yard TD pass from Baum to Homyk. The PAT made the score 14-0 with 7:03 left before half. On the drive, Homyk broke both the career receptions (203) and single-season receiving yards (1,039) records, which were held by David Kallevig (2001-04).

Case added to its lead in the third quarter when Baum hooked up again with Homyk for a 27-yard TD to cap a 9-play, 54-yard drive at the 11:27 mark. Later in the period, Baum tossed his third TD, this time to Nicely from 15 yards out to cap a 7-play, 81-yard drive at the 00:46 mark.

Defensively, sophomore cornerback Cary Dieter totaled a game-high 14 tackles. Sophomore nose guard Mike Harris totaled 13 stops with a sack, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery. Senior cornerback James Wodicka recorded his team-best sixth and seventh interceptions of the season, giving him five in three UAA games.

• A conversation with Divya Aggarwal
  • Adiós, Four Loko
  • Faculty Forum addresses questions surrounding core curriculum
  • International student programs make strides, issues remain

• Football thumps Tartans on senior day, win Academic Bowl
  • Men drown competition, win Veale classic; women split
  • Men seeded second in UAA, eye historic season
  • Spartan women third, men seventh at NCAA Division III Great Lakes Regional
  • Spartans drop first dual meet against Baldwin-Wallace
  • Volleyball returns home from their first NCAA Championship satisfied and yearning for more
  • Women to improve winning season, sixth-place finish

• Editorial: Unwilling to think beyond the possible
  • Leading by examples: bullying starts - and ends - with parents
  • Whores no more: the case for legalizing prostitution

• Atlantic/Pacific
  • CARES hosts vegan feast, panel in hopes of debunking myths, addressing concerns
  • Documentary Inside Job a frightening account of current financial crisis
  • Gold Motel speaks on album, artistic processes
  • Music department caps semester with variety of concerts
  • Pizza! Pizza!
  • Sigma Psi to create "magic" with 32nd Mr. CWRU
  • Students blur gender lines in eighth annual Drag Ball
  • The rules of attraction
  • Who's wearing the pants?