Whores no more: the case for legalizing prostitution

Sugar in your gas tank

Tiffany Oliver

Media Credit: Photographer: Tomas Castelazo
One social issue that receives little attention in American politics is that of prostitution. In a country that openly accepts pornography, an industry where performers are paid to have sex, it surprises me that we have yet to, at the very least, decriminalized prostitution.

Is prostitution morally questionable? Yes. Do I support individuals selling sex? Absolutely not. Although my personal set of beliefs reject sex for money, I cannot understand how the pornography industry is a perfectly legitimate business profession that is allowed to make profits, and prostitution is outlawed. The television show Cops still shows police officers soliciting sex in order to arrest unsuspecting customers. It baffles me. If taped acts of sex for money are permissible, then maybe prostitutes should carry around video cameras.

In all seriousness though, prostitutions prohibition is yet another outdated social policy that needs to be re evaluated. I will admit that regardless of what or how prostitution is regulated, abuses will occur. However, I think legalizing the industry will protect prostitutes and give the government a much-needed source of revenue, and will eliminate another unnecessarily backwards social policy. Prohibiting the industry has not worked favorably, and has hardly eradicated issues caused by prostitution.

Legalizing prostitution would allow government oversight of an industry that is known for abuses. Pimps and customers often exploit prostitutes, and when prostitutes raise claims of abuse, police rarely listen (unless the perpetrators are rich, white, college lacrosse players). There is also a problem of involuntary prostitution. Both of these problems could potentially decrease if prostitution was legalized.

If prostitution can become a legal occupation, government regulation would have the potential to actually clean up the industry and save lives. First, legalizing the business would take prostitutes off of the streets. Allowing prostitution businesses to open would force prostitution to operate behind closed doors in an environment that would much safer than current locations for such practices. Secondly, if prostitution were a legal profession, minimum health standards would be able to be instituted. In the California porn industry, actors are forced to undergo STD testing in order to stay active, and similar measures could be passed in order to ensure that prostitutes were free of any transmittable diseases. Additionally, legislation could be passed requiring the use of contraceptives and protection.

Allowing prostitution would also extend labor rights to prostitutes, which are clearly non-existent under the current system. Giving prostitutes full labor protection would give workers the power to prevent abuses in the work environment. Such regulations would help limit the employment of underage workers, although it would be na've to think legalizing prostitution would completely prevent juveniles from entering the field, whether it is voluntarily or forced.

Legalizing the industry would grant protection to prostitutes to protect against abuses by superiors, as police are typically unwilling to investigate claims of abuse by prostitutes. Legalizing prostitution should not be seen as an act of support for its practice. The difficulty in legalizing prostitution is that a large constituency of Americans would think that ending its prohibition would be condoning prostitution. In reality, however, legalizing it would instead be accepting the fact that, regardless of legislation, prostitution will occur, and the best response is to make the industry as safe as possible, all while increasing government revenue.

When government policies fail to end practices that are banned solely for morality reasons, as opposed to actions outlawed due to their abuses to innocent people, the policy should be re evaluated and reformed. Nevada is a start, but because politicians are too afraid to admit that policies are not working, I doubt national reform will be on the agenda of many politicians.

Tiffany Oliver is a third-year history and political science major with a public policy minor. She is a member of the Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity.

Viewing Comments 1 - 3 of 4

oh dear

posted 11/23/10 @ 3:06 PM EST

Tiffany, you are just really dumb. Sorry.

Also, your article barely even presents a coherent case on prostitution, which is what I though the article was about. (Continued…)

(1 reply)   Details   Reply to this comment

Tiffany Oliver

posted 12/03/10 @ 5:58 PM EST

Oh Dear, do you mind explaining any of your thoughts? I find it ironic that you are criticizing my article for allegedly not talking about prostitution, and you fail to make "coherent" case for anything. (Continued…)

Details   Reply to this comment

Asian Advantage

posted 12/07/10 @ 1:27 PM EST

Very nice article. Would love to see this as a series on how it might affect college students, Cleveland, etc.

Details   Reply to this comment

Post a Comment

• A conversation with Professor Jessica Green
    • Nation's first research-oriented wind turbine constructed near Veale
    • Thwing Study Over to provide students much-needed break this Sunday
    • Transformation on horizon for KSL
    • USG reflects upon accomplishments at last meeting of semester

• Grapplers drop match against rival John Carroll, fall to 0-2
    • Spartans encounter cold spell late in second half, go 0-2 in JCU tournament
    • Spartans place 18th at cross country NCAA championships
    • Sports Shorts
    • Women fall behind early, lose to Baldwin-Wallace

• Fun Page Solutions

• Cleveland provides refugees, volunteers opportunities with Refugee Response program
    • Editorial: Semester Grades
    • There's no 'I' in team - but there is in 'Republican'
    • What are you doing over winter break?

• A look back: best of 2010 entertainment
    • Art history department says goodbye as distinguished professor Dr. Edward Olszewski retires
    • Cleveland writer Susan Streeter Carpenter reads from counter-culture novel Riders on the Storm
    • Magic of Mr. CWRU uses talent, gusto to benefit East Cleveland
    • Our friend Kelvin
    • The art of seduction, part II
    • Two recent film releases: Harry Potter disappoints; Enter the Void intrigues