Editorial: Unwilling to think beyond the possible

For a university that strives to stretch its collective mind beyond the possible, it's frankly not doing too much to move beyond the status quo of current international student practices. Case Western Reserve University is home to thousands of insightful, intelligent students, faculty, staff, and administrators - yet no one is able to come up with a fair financial assistance solution for international students.

Don't get us wrong - there are many new and growing resources for international students. ESS, for example, has worked hard this semester to organize weekly spoken English conversation groups for undergraduate and graduate students alike. New Student and Parent Programs hosted the first-ever international student orientation to great acclaim from administrators and students. Kelvin Smith Library has plans to move the international student lounge and reading area out of the basement and into a more open, well-lit space. Yet the question remains - if we're providing them with all of these new resources to help them adjust to life in the states, why are we content telling them that financial assistance is just too far beyond the possible?

CWRU can educate future doctors, lawyers, and engineers, but for years, they've claimed it's just too difficult to actually come up with a system to distribute merit-based aid to international students. CWRU can teach a young biomedical engineer how to create a synthetic artery, but creating a rubric to measure the accomplishments of incoming international students is too far beyond their grasp.

Such hypocrisy is below this institution.

The university itself has noted they've lost talented international students before because they didn't offer any financial aid. This is compounded by the fact that the only reason international students were not granted any university aid was because of "budget reasons." Although we hoped, in an earlier editorial, that the university was not so nefarious as to try to entice full-sticker-price-paying international students just to take them for every penny they've got, we now realize there's something to that theory after all.

It's embarrassing that the university has brazenly used students in this way and never seemed to give it a second thought until very recently. And worse, there was no sign of any desire to change the policy over the years. Administrators were unabashed in their search of international students to help pay our bills. It wasn't until halfway through this semester that the university decided to move away from this entirely exploitative and deceitful policy.

Ultimately, whatever the impetus for the university's change of heart this semester, we're glad to see that administrators will begin at least looking into ending the policy, and we hope that they'll start implementing long-term financial solutions for all students regardless of citizenship status. To do anything less would be to stall for time until the current undergraduate population changes and hopefully forgets their scholarships are paid with the debt of their international "peers."

• A conversation with Divya Aggarwal
  • Adiós, Four Loko
  • Faculty Forum addresses questions surrounding core curriculum
  • International student programs make strides, issues remain

• Football thumps Tartans on senior day, win Academic Bowl
  • Men drown competition, win Veale classic; women split
  • Men seeded second in UAA, eye historic season
  • Spartan women third, men seventh at NCAA Division III Great Lakes Regional
  • Spartans drop first dual meet against Baldwin-Wallace
  • Volleyball returns home from their first NCAA Championship satisfied and yearning for more
  • Women to improve winning season, sixth-place finish

• Editorial: Unwilling to think beyond the possible
  • Leading by examples: bullying starts - and ends - with parents
  • Whores no more: the case for legalizing prostitution

• Atlantic/Pacific
  • CARES hosts vegan feast, panel in hopes of debunking myths, addressing concerns
  • Documentary Inside Job a frightening account of current financial crisis
  • Gold Motel speaks on album, artistic processes
  • Music department caps semester with variety of concerts
  • Pizza! Pizza!
  • Sigma Psi to create "magic" with 32nd Mr. CWRU
  • Students blur gender lines in eighth annual Drag Ball
  • The rules of attraction
  • Who's wearing the pants?