Atlantic/Pacific

Hitting the Spot

Adam Wisniewski

This week, UPB's Spot Night presents Atlantic/Pacific, two musicians from Brooklyn whose intertwined fates brought them together in a living room to lay down some ambient indie folk tunes. The duo, comprised of John Herguth and Garrett Klahn, dropped their first full-length album, Meet Your New Love, on No Sleep Records, at the end of October, approximately one year after self-releasing their first EP, Some Weary Valentine. They have toured Europe and played the TRUCK music festival near Oxford, England, in addition to many venues in and around Brooklyn. Their stop at Case Western Reserve University is part of a larger tour that has seen them playing as far as Vienna, Austria, and will take them across the United States.

Opening for Atlantic/Pacific is label-mate Into It. Over It., the solo side project of singer/songwriter Thomas Weiss, who is also part of the band Damiera and was previously a member of The Progress and Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start. Arguably, the most interesting aspect of Into It. Over It. is his album 52 Weeks, in which Weiss wrote, recorded, and mastered one song per week for 52 consecutive weeks, starting on his 23rd birthday. The tracks were released on a weekly basis on Weiss's website, and after its completion, the album was released in June of 2009 in a two-disc set by No Sleep Records. Into It. Over It. will be releasing a new split vinyl LP recorded with longtime friend Koji, aptly named IIOT/KOJI, on Tuesday, November 23, the day before he plays at The Spot, so one could reasonably assume that he will be featuring tracks from this new record in his performance.

As always, Spot Night starts at 9 p.m. on Wednesday down at The Spot, where you can fill your stomach with food and drink at reasonable cost while hanging out with your pals and listening to great music.

In Case You Missed It: In a showcase of campus talent, Edgewater Lights played a variety of excellent covers ranging from The Beatles to The Black Keys. T--- Waffles played some original songs as well as some Matchbox 20 covers.

• A conversation with Professor Jessica Green
  • Nation's first research-oriented wind turbine constructed near Veale
  • Thwing Study Over to provide students much-needed break this Sunday
  • Transformation on horizon for KSL
  • USG reflects upon accomplishments at last meeting of semester

• Grapplers drop match against rival John Carroll, fall to 0-2
  • Spartans encounter cold spell late in second half, go 0-2 in JCU tournament
  • Spartans place 18th at cross country NCAA championships
  • Sports Shorts
  • Women fall behind early, lose to Baldwin-Wallace

• Fun Page Solutions

• Cleveland provides refugees, volunteers opportunities with Refugee Response program
  • Editorial: Semester Grades
  • There's no 'I' in team - but there is in 'Republican'
  • What are you doing over winter break?

• A look back: best of 2010 entertainment
  • Art history department says goodbye as distinguished professor Dr. Edward Olszewski retires
  • Cleveland writer Susan Streeter Carpenter reads from counter-culture novel Riders on the Storm
  • Magic of Mr. CWRU uses talent, gusto to benefit East Cleveland
  • Our friend Kelvin
  • The art of seduction, part II
  • Two recent film releases: Harry Potter disappoints; Enter the Void intrigues