Spartan swim team host Veale Classic this weekend

Men look to defend title, while women look to snatch championship back from Wooster

Peter Cooke

Issue date: 11/12/10 Section: Sports
Wooster:
The College of Wooster men's and women's teams are on completely different planes right now. The women have opened the season on a three-meet win streak. They defeated Mount Union College, Wittenberg College, and Ohio Northern University. The men, however, are still winless, dropping their first three dual meets to the above teams.
The Fighting Scots will clash with the Spartans at 7 p.m. at the Veale Natatorium for the first time in the preliminary round. The two teams typically have met each other in the championship dual meet. The heightened competition means that the Scots have to come off the blocks at a high energy level to defeat an impressive Spartan squad.
John Carroll:
The John Carroll University men enter the Veale Classic on a two-meet losing streak. The men defeated Wilmington College of Ohio in their opening meet 127-72 but dropped their next two fixtures to Mount Union College and Notre Dame College.
The Blue Streak women enter the weekend with a 2-2 record, having swum one more meet than the men. Like the men, the women defeated Wilmington but dropped duals to Mount Union and Notre Dame. The women also defeated a very small Ursuline College squad 166-11.
The JCU men won against the Oberlin Yeomen last year in the consolation meet 162-91. The women, however, dropped the dual meet 156-138. The Blue Streaks and Yeomen dive in at 5 p.m. in the Veale Natorium with the winner on both the men's and women's side making their first appearance in the Veale Classic Championship.
berlin:
Oberlin College will swim this weekend after dropping their first meet of the season against College Swimming Coaches Association of America nationally ranked No. 2 Denison University. Denison, a North Coast Athletic Conference foe, defeated the men 180-55 and the women 167-75.
The Yeomen aren't taking the tough loss personally; both teams are competitive in the NCAC and will pose tough opposition this weekend at the Veale Classic. While neither team are nationally ranked, the Oberlin women received 21 votes in the CSCAA poll, the most of any team at the Veale Classic.
The women are favored to beat the Blue Streaks, but the men will have a tougher meet cut out for them. They lost by 71 points last year and will need to gain momentum early on Friday to push a superior JCU squad.

Men's Recap:
Spartans enter the Veale Classic with a 2-0 record for the first time since the invitational began. Case Western Reserve University trumped the University of Rochester and New York University at their first meet of the season. CWRU perennially trumps the Yellow Jackets, but fails to contend with the Violet.
New head coach Doug Milliken has brought a new, refreshing system for the men's team. The first-year head coach, joined by 15 first-year swimmers, returned victorious by considerable margins two weeks ago when they defeated NYU 205-154 and Rochester 244-116.
The Spartans won the 800-yard freestyle relay, one-twoing the event, as the CWRU A and B-team relays each finished over six seconds faster than the next teams. Freshman Gus Bailey led the Spartans in the 50-yard freestyle while junior Mike Lin and fellow first-year Heath Hudgins rounded out the top three spots.

Swimmer to Watch:
Robby Browning had a stellar meet in Rochester. Browning took first in the 100-yard backstroke with a winning time of 53.60. Browning also grabbed finishes in the top three in the 100-yard butterfly and 200-meter backstroke, finsihing 54.04 and 2:01.14, respectively.
Browning is a super senior biology major. Having joined the team after transferring to CWRU after his first year at Michigan State University, Browning quickly became a key scorer for the Spartans.

Women's Recap:
The women's swimming and diving team defeated the University of Rochester and nearly beat New York University at Case Western Reserve University's first conference meet. The women defeated Rochester by a mere five points, 179.5-174.5, but fell to the Violet by just eight points, 179.5-171.5
The women returned triumphant in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 4:06.68. Freshmen Sarah Tillie and Maggie Dillione joined forces with junior Stephanie Campbell and senior Roxanne Leyshon to win the race. The quartet's time places them 10th nationally in Division III, behind UAA powerhouses Emory University and Washington University.
Senior Jacquie Buckler was a double winner on the weekend, leading the Spartans' sweep in the 100-yard breaststroke. Tillie and Leyshon followed closely behind, taking the top three spots for the Spartans.

Swimmer to Watch:
Maggie Dillione made a huge splash in her debut with the Spartans. A double winner in the 100- and 200-yard butterfly, She showed little mercy as she won the 200-yard race in nearly eight seconds. Dillione broke one minute in the 100-yard butterfly, winning by over three seconds.
Dillione, a freshman, comes to CWRU from central Pennsylvania. A true butterflier, she will be a key component in the Spartans' meet against Wooster on Friday night. Wooster defeated the Spartans in the championship meet last year, so Dillione and the rest of the women's team will hope to keep the title here in Cleveland.

Viewing Comments 1 - 1 of 1

Janet Alder

posted 11/12/10 @ 10:59 AM EST

Will heat sheets be available?

Details   Reply to this comment

Post a Comment

• A conversation with Divya Aggarwal
    • Adiós, Four Loko
    • Faculty Forum addresses questions surrounding core curriculum
    • International student programs make strides, issues remain

• Football thumps Tartans on senior day, win Academic Bowl
    • Men drown competition, win Veale classic; women split
    • Men seeded second in UAA, eye historic season
    • Spartan women third, men seventh at NCAA Division III Great Lakes Regional
    • Spartans drop first dual meet against Baldwin-Wallace
    • Volleyball returns home from their first NCAA Championship satisfied and yearning for more
    • Women to improve winning season, sixth-place finish

• Editorial: Unwilling to think beyond the possible
    • Leading by examples: bullying starts - and ends - with parents
    • Whores no more: the case for legalizing prostitution

• Atlantic/Pacific
    • CARES hosts vegan feast, panel in hopes of debunking myths, addressing concerns
    • Documentary Inside Job a frightening account of current financial crisis
    • Gold Motel speaks on album, artistic processes
    • Music department caps semester with variety of concerts
    • Pizza! Pizza!
    • Sigma Psi to create "magic" with 32nd Mr. CWRU
    • Students blur gender lines in eighth annual Drag Ball
    • The rules of attraction
    • Who's wearing the pants?