Freedom of speech is dying - and there's nothing you can do about it

Running on fumes

Steven Schoenwald

How important is it to care what other people think? Is honest, public discourse what this nation really wants? Do you feel like speaking out against injustice? Or perhaps do you feel like speaking out against 'speaking out'?

The founding fathers of the United States organized the governing documents of this nation to be as encompassing as possible while at the same time granting its citizens a wide range of freedoms. Free speech was paramount among these freedoms, in part due to the nation's previous suffocation from the overbearing monarchy of Britannia. The concept and right of free speech was supposed to provide the new American democracy with a potent defense against the power-hungry oppressors that were sure to arise over time. It appears that over the past few decades an oppressor has arisen, not in the form of a man, but in the form of men.

The racial oppression and segregation that plagued the Americas for hundreds of years was finally challenged during the American civil rights movement. Fighting against unprovoked violence and cruelty, minorities banded together to make a long-overdue statement: all people, minorities included, deserve to be treated equally on an individual basis where one is assessed by personal traits, talents, and strengths, not ethnicity or other social status. The original feminist movements had a similar message in their advocation on behalf of women's rights. These groups challenged society to think differently and accept the equal rights and opinions of others.

But those days are over now. If citizens choose to speak out against an action or ideology, they are labeled as extremist rabble-rousers who are more likely sexists, racists, or bigots rather than free-thinkers or challengers of the status quo. Americans have become so concerned about trying not to offend anyone that they are stifling their own right to free speech. Hatred is shown to those who do not accept this new social standard. How ironic that in an attempt to obtain acceptance for all, man has become unaccepting.

Maybe unacceptance is part of human nature. Every person attempts to be correct and have their beliefs recognized by those who matter to them. If an outsider disagrees, the speaker might attempt to assert dominance through shouting or ridicule with the hope of getting the challenger to back down. Unfortunately this conflicts with another human trait: stubbornness. This in turn allows for otherwise civil, lighthearted conversation to turn into an emotional battle of ideologies.

When individuals debate and challenge one another without emotional intervention, the resulting discussion is conducted in an opportune forum for universal learning and enlightenment. Those who let emotion to govern their opinions and comments have their credibility is diminished in the eyes of their opponents, if they had any credibility to begin with. Consequently, nothing gets accomplished, time is wasted, and anger ensues. All that remains is an ugly confrontation which provides little insight into either side's point of view.

I find it difficult to watch political debates because of the lack of insight into each candidate's intentions. Party lines are used to answer in depth questions that should require serious contemplation to properly answer. To make matters worse, when a candidate has the courage to speak about a controversial topic, he is immediately pegged a radical by the opposition.

Political and religious leaders have dealt with this problem for millennia. Should you refuse to listen to the Pope's message of self-introspection and betterment because he abides by traditions of Catholicism, or the Dalai Lama's message of peace and tolerance be discarded because of foreign political conflict? Should similar domestic messages be shut out simply based on of political or religious orientation?

As difficult as it seems, Americans must once again become more open to ideas which confront modern society. Modernists and traditionalists both hold philosophies that must counter each other in an appropriate balance to ensure our country's success. Only then will the average citizen wield the power to speak the truth, popular or not, for the betterment of this nation and its culture.

Steven Schoenwald is double majoring in biology and business management. He currently works at the Cleveland Clinic and commutes daily from Hinckley Township.

Viewing Comments 1 - 1 of 1

89vision

posted 11/12/10 @ 12:39 PM EST

You seem like one of those proud to be liberals that is 100% convinced that their political insight is factual, despite obvious flaws in logic.

Stating that Fox News invents facts is a bold claim, and lacks any sort of support. (Continued…)

Details   Reply to this comment

Post a Comment

• A conversation with Ted Steinberg
    • CWRU law students' bar exam passage rate best in Ohio
    • Former cop suggests new approach to drug policy
    • IMPROVment draws huge crowd for first ever alumni show
    • Relay for Life kicks off today
    • Runners brave hail and rain for hole in the wall camps
    • Save time by automating your finances
    • University forum addresses online bullying

• Cross Country travels to Great Lakes Regional
    • Fighting Gobies take home titles at North Coast
    • Spartan swim team host Veale Classic this weekend
    • Spartans drop final match at Rochester, miss out on NCAAs
    • Spartans earn best UAA finish since 2000, grab first ever NCAA berth
    • Two blocked field goals in final minutes doom 4-peat
    • Women's soccer drops match to Yellow Jackets after early lead

• Editorial: Something to complain about
    • Freedom of speech is dying - and there's nothing you can do about it
    • Honesty after our election tsunami

• "Hunk, Hustler, Hard-Ass" seminar an eye-opening look at masculinity
    • A trip to Tremont
    • CIM president Joel Smirnoff leads CIM orchestra through exquisite performances of Mozart, Bartók, Beethoven
    • Dance Marathoners to stay on feet for 12 hour benefit
    • Happiness is a warm campus
    • Hitting the Spot: Gold Motel
    • Medical students band together for ShowCASE of campus musical talent
    • You're trying to seduce me