USG Brief

Sage Schaff

Case Western Reserve University Undergraduate Student Government began its end-of-the-semester push to pass new legislation at its general assembly meeting this past Tues., Nov. 9. Representatives voted to pass one bill, introduced three more, passed two resolutions, and promised more to come in future meetings. USG president Minh-Tri Nguyen began the meeting by praising the finance committee for its proficiency in the mass funding process, which culminated last weekend. He also reminded the assembly that Pizzalympics will be this Friday, Nov. 12 at 12:30 p.m. in Thwing Ballroom. USG is trying to make this year's event the largest yet, with 12 vendors and blind taste testing.

Vice president of student life Divya Aggarwal expanded upon a potential Greenie stop in Little Italy. She met with Dave Tomco of Standard Parking to discuss the possibility of creating two separate North Loops, A and B. Loop A would be the current North Loop route, while Loop B would go up Mayfield Road through Little Italy and take Murray Hill Road to Fribley. The routes must be tested before they are implimented, but the "establishment of North Loop A and B to include a stop in Little Italy looks promising for spring semester," Aggarwal said. She also raised the issue of Rainbow Babies Hospital personnel smoking in front of the "no smoking" sign on Adelbert Road where CWRU students frequently cross. She plans on taking steps to have the smoking areas moved from the sidewalk.

Vice president of information technology Kelly Maloney informed the assembly that students have complained about being temporarily banned from CWRU's network while playing online games. She advised that if this continues, those affected should email her, and IT Services will resolve the problem. In the same vein, the assembly passed "a resolution to allow for student self-registration of video game consoles and similar devices on the CWRU wired network." Its purpose is to make registering consoles, printers, and the like on the CWRU network more convenient, as the current setup requires students to call the Help Desk to do so. Under this resolution, students would be able to bypass this and simply enter their own media access control (MAC) address.

The assembly also passed a resolution to install a camera on the Spirit Wall. This could help apprehend vandals while allowing students to view the wall from anywhere on campus. USG is only one of multiple campus organizations planning to split the cost of the camera and its installation, which is roughly $4500; the other groups must also pass a similar resolution.

Finally, the assembly voted to pass a bill providing additional funding to already recognized student organizations and introduced several more regarding finances and organizations. One is a bill to establish USG's spring 2011 budget, which is estimated to be $151,000. However, those bills have yet to be voted on and will continue to be discussed in the coming weeks.

• A conversation with Ted Steinberg
  • CWRU law students' bar exam passage rate best in Ohio
  • Former cop suggests new approach to drug policy
  • IMPROVment draws huge crowd for first ever alumni show
  • Relay for Life kicks off today
  • Runners brave hail and rain for hole in the wall camps
  • Save time by automating your finances
  • University forum addresses online bullying

• Cross Country travels to Great Lakes Regional
  • Fighting Gobies take home titles at North Coast
  • Spartan swim team host Veale Classic this weekend
  • Spartans drop final match at Rochester, miss out on NCAAs
  • Spartans earn best UAA finish since 2000, grab first ever NCAA berth
  • Two blocked field goals in final minutes doom 4-peat
  • Women's soccer drops match to Yellow Jackets after early lead

• Editorial: Something to complain about
  • Freedom of speech is dying - and there's nothing you can do about it
  • Honesty after our election tsunami

• "Hunk, Hustler, Hard-Ass" seminar an eye-opening look at masculinity
  • A trip to Tremont
  • CIM president Joel Smirnoff leads CIM orchestra through exquisite performances of Mozart, Bartók, Beethoven
  • Dance Marathoners to stay on feet for 12 hour benefit
  • Happiness is a warm campus
  • Hitting the Spot: Gold Motel
  • Medical students band together for ShowCASE of campus musical talent
  • You're trying to seduce me