Seniors thump Westminster 6-0 in final home game

Kate Clancy

Issue date: 10/29/10 Section: Sports
Junior Vinny Bell and sophomore Renee Silva chase down a ball against Chicago.
Media Credit: James Hale
The Case Western Reserve University men's soccer team took down Westminster College 6-0 last Saturday evening. The win extends the Spartan's three-game winning streak, giving the squad momentum rolling into final three games of the season. With emotions high on senior night, the elder Spartans dominated Westminster during their last game at Case Field, scoring five of the six total goals. This win puts the Spartans at an impressive overall 9-4-3 as they round out the season with three remaining UAA conference games and a 2-2 conference record.

The first half was dominated by the CWRU offense, outshot Westminster 11-1. A number of players took their turns shooting on the Westminster goalkeeper Mike Codita, and after 20 minutes of play, sophomore Eric Erb found the back of the net on a cross from junior Niro Wimalasena. The rest of the half played out with much CWRU offensive action, but no completions, and the score remained 1-0.

From the first minutes of the second half, the upperclassmen stole the show. Senior Jordan Fox sparked the movement by scoring a header off a free kick. Within ten minutes, senior Phil Debauche recorded CWRU's third goal of the game.

The CWRU offense was relentless and did not give Westminster's keeper a break. In the 75th minute, senior Aaron Lucas hit a straight shot past the Westminster keeper from 15 yards out and recorded his first goal of the season.

Behind by four goals, Westminster decided to put in second-string goalie Adam Kephart in hopes of creating a defensive presence on the field. Just three minutes later, in the 78th, Debauche added his second goal of the night off a crossed ball 5 yards out. Fellow seniors Lucas and Mikey Schmid assisted Debauche.

In the last two minutes of the game, Schmid would be assisted by Lucas to score the final goal of the game, putting the Spartans on top 6-0. The goal came off a free kick following a yellow card that was awarded by Westminster's Jared Smeltzer.

The CWRU men's soccer senior night proved to be successful as the Spartans defeated Westminster in their highest-scoring game of the season. This win gives the Spartans a three-game winning streak, which they hope to take further into their final three games of the season.

The Spartans are currently third in the UAA conference, which is incredibly noteworthy, as they did not have a single UAA victory last season. The Spartans will face back-to-back games this Halloween weekend against Carnegie Mellon University and Emory University on Friday and Saturday, respectively.

• Crime reignites emphasis on campus safety
  • Election day survival kit
  • Inamori International center for ethics and excellence hosts international peace and war summit
  • Investing now for retirement pays off later
  • Snyder praises university accomplishments

• 2010 UAA cross country championship preview
  • CWRU XC looks to dominate in UAA championship
  • Hockey picks up first win against CalU
  • No. 23 Spartans take home Baird Bros. Trophy
  • Seniors thump Westminster 6-0 in final home game
  • Spartans trump top-ranked WashU, return home for win on senior day.

• Democracy: the only class where participation is 100 percent of your grade
  • Editorial: Three times (not) a charm
  • What's Scarier than Pelosi & a Boehner? Not Much, Actually.

• Case Western: Zombieland
  • Dim and Den Sum: Cleveland's meal on wheels phenomenon
  • Footlighters aim for Thoroughly Modern performance of Millie
  • K'naan enthralls concertgoers courtesy of UPB
  • Playhouse Square's Legally Blonde offers surprisingly enjoyable escapist fare
  • Shaking things up
  • Small, yet dedicated group of materials science majors represent CWRU at convention in Houston