Hockey picks up first win against CalU

Lisa Viers

Issue date: 10/29/10 Section: Sports
The Case Western Reserve University ice hockey club had a triumphant game against California University of Pennsylvania on Saturday, Oct. 23. The night ended with CWRU winning 5-4 against the Vulcans in a hard-fought game. The win was a big turnaround from last season, when CWRU (1-2) lost to CalU 6-2 at home and 12-0 on the road.

The game was full of energy from the start, with a lot of physical play from both teams fighting hard for possessions on face-offs. In the first period, forward Eric Pellish had a close chance at scoring, but the rebound ended up getting onto the sticks of CalU players. The Vulcans countered with a shot on goal, but goalie Joe Timpona quickly snatched up the puck. CalU managed to take a number of shots, but Timpona held strong in the crease, allowing only one goal in the first period.

Early in the second period, center John Stockmann attempted a few slapshots but the CalU goalie didn't give in. With 10:29 left in the period, Pellish scored on a power play, assisted by winger Anthony Perugini. Pellish and Perugini were crucial to the Spartans' win; theylinked up for three of CWRU's five total goals.

Defenseman Peter Thompson would beat the Vulcan keeper a few minutes later, giving CWRU a 2-1 lead. Thompson said that his goal was a product of "the power of the new socks and simple maneuvers." At the end of the period, the score was 3-1, with Perugini scoring on a Pellish assist.

The third period started out fairly slow, but picked up pace dramatically halfway through when CalU scored, making it a 3-2 game. CWRU held onto their slim lead, blocking shots and continuing to press forward. Their effort paid off when Stockmann scored with 4:44 left on the clock to double the Spartans' lead.

The 4-2 lead sparked the Vulcan offense and the CWRU defense got caught off-guard twice in the next 80 seconds; the score was evened at four goals apiece. But the Spartans wouldn't quit, and with 0:56 left in the final period Perugini scored his second goal, and ultimately the game-winner, on an assist from Pellish. The crowd inside Cleveland Heights Rec Center went wild, sensing that the team's first win was just seconds away. CalU scrambled to score but Timpona held strong. Of over 50 shots the entire game, he allowed just four.

All of the team members spoke highly of Timpona's exceptional net-minding throughout the game. Perugini and other players cited great teamwork and player chemistry as key factors in their first win of the season.

"We played our hearts out and got good results," said forward Mike Malone.

Players put the needs of the team before their own, playing through the pain of injuries and cramps. Having greatly improved effort and teamwork, the Spartans were also able to stay out of the penalty box-there were only nine penalties committed by both teams throughout the game. The CWRU ice hockey club is extremely enthusiastic about their win, and hopes to keep their streak alive at home against a pair of Buffalo, NY, teams this weekend: Medaille College tonight at 9 p.m., and D'Youville College Saturday at 8:30 p.m.

• Crime reignites emphasis on campus safety
  • Election day survival kit
  • Inamori International center for ethics and excellence hosts international peace and war summit
  • Investing now for retirement pays off later
  • Snyder praises university accomplishments

• 2010 UAA cross country championship preview
  • CWRU XC looks to dominate in UAA championship
  • Hockey picks up first win against CalU
  • No. 23 Spartans take home Baird Bros. Trophy
  • Seniors thump Westminster 6-0 in final home game
  • Spartans trump top-ranked WashU, return home for win on senior day.

• Democracy: the only class where participation is 100 percent of your grade
  • Editorial: Three times (not) a charm
  • What's Scarier than Pelosi & a Boehner? Not Much, Actually.

• Case Western: Zombieland
  • Dim and Den Sum: Cleveland's meal on wheels phenomenon
  • Footlighters aim for Thoroughly Modern performance of Millie
  • K'naan enthralls concertgoers courtesy of UPB
  • Playhouse Square's Legally Blonde offers surprisingly enjoyable escapist fare
  • Shaking things up
  • Small, yet dedicated group of materials science majors represent CWRU at convention in Houston