What's Scarier than Pelosi & a Boehner? Not Much, Actually.

Running on Fumes

Steven Schoenwald

It doesn't take long to figure out I love summertime. Baseball, beaches, and overall warm weather serve as reminders of how beautiful the Cleveland area can be. Even going to work isenjoyable when the sun shines through the windows of an air conditioned shop. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. The ominous foreboding of old man winter comes in the form of cooler days, falling leaves, and perpetually cloudy skies with a side of rainfall. There is no getting around it - I hate fall.

Often I hear colorful descriptions of Midwestern autumns and am reminded by others of nature's beauty. Call me a pessimist, but to me fall is the season of work. I don't see the beauty in raking up wet leaves on a daily basis. I don't particularly enjoy wearing layers of clothing while doing yard work, just to repeatedly take off and re-wear the same apparel after overheating from physical activity. I see little draw in preparing summer machinery for winter storage, or in draining outdoor water lines which will burst in winter if not properly emptied. The only positive aspect about the season is that football and basketball begin, providing an excuse to procrastinate well into the winter.

Even with the dreariness that fall weather brings, the worst season of all is the man-made spectacle of spew known as the political season. As the year drags on, so do mudslinging political ads that serve no other purpose than to test if you've been paying attention to the political world. Major political candidates have the unique opportunity to look like the nation's savior one minute and a demented madman the next. Swiftboats away!

I have to think local political ads are even worse than national ads. Sure, you can agree to hate Bush and Pelosi with your neighbors and loved ones, but what about the local county auditor or councilman? Do I really need to watch a twenty second advertisement during the local news explaining how I can't trust John Baird, local nominee for dog catcher? Of course not. I prefer the commercials that remind me that whoever I vote for, my taxes will be raised and my community will fall into greater rescission. They may be overdramatic and politically slanted, but at least they have a high likelihood of being correct - no matter the candidate.

For those of you who enjoy spending your free time outside or actually being studious, I commend you. Chances are you have a fond view of fall and are well-rounded individuals. However, for the rest of us who can't get enough of the glowing black box, a word of caution: expose yourself to as little TV as possible over the next few weeks, unless you feel like pulling your hair out and having your brain turn to mush. But hey, who knows? After midterms, that may be a good thing.

Steven Schoenwald is double majoring in biology and business management. He currently works at the Cleveland Clinic and commutes daily from Hinckley Township.

• Crime reignites emphasis on campus safety
  • Election day survival kit
  • Inamori International center for ethics and excellence hosts international peace and war summit
  • Investing now for retirement pays off later
  • Snyder praises university accomplishments

• 2010 UAA cross country championship preview
  • CWRU XC looks to dominate in UAA championship
  • Hockey picks up first win against CalU
  • No. 23 Spartans take home Baird Bros. Trophy
  • Seniors thump Westminster 6-0 in final home game
  • Spartans trump top-ranked WashU, return home for win on senior day.

• Democracy: the only class where participation is 100 percent of your grade
  • Editorial: Three times (not) a charm
  • What's Scarier than Pelosi & a Boehner? Not Much, Actually.

• Case Western: Zombieland
  • Dim and Den Sum: Cleveland's meal on wheels phenomenon
  • Footlighters aim for Thoroughly Modern performance of Millie
  • K'naan enthralls concertgoers courtesy of UPB
  • Playhouse Square's Legally Blonde offers surprisingly enjoyable escapist fare
  • Shaking things up
  • Small, yet dedicated group of materials science majors represent CWRU at convention in Houston