Footlighters aim for Thoroughly Modern performance of Millie

Melanie Sayre

• Page 1 of 2 next >
It's important for young adults to vote during midterm elections to prevent fringe candidates from benefitting from incumbency boosts in future elections and impacting policy for years to come.
Straight from Broadway, Thoroughly Modern Millie has arrived on the set of Case Western Reserve University's campus for the first time. Initially conceived as a movie in 1967 and later as an award-winning Broadway musical in 2002, the production has been followed by widespread success.

The play, presented by CWRU's student musical company, Footlighters, revolves around the antics of a young girl named Millie Dillmount in the 1920's when she moves to New York in an attempt to marry for money instead of love. From there, she takes a job as a stenographer, adopts the flapper lifestyle, finds love, and gets herself mixed up with the criminal trade of young girls to China.

Among the show's musical highlights are "The Speed Test," an incredible workout that features a strenuous tap-dancing routine and lightning-fast singing from a number of cast members, and a raucous 1920's jazz rendition of a classic Tchaikovsky ballet, known in this production as "The Nuttycracker Suite."

The titular role is performed by senior Kari Davis, who also starred in spring 2008's production of Chicago as lead character Roxie Hart when she was a freshman. Trevor Graydon, the boss she sets out to marry is played by Brenden Raymond, while Frank Blackman plays her separate love interest, the carefree and clever Jimmy Smith. Millie's new friend in New York, Dorothy Brown, is portrayed by Abby Walker, and her evil landlady, Mrs. Meers, is played by Katharine Bussert.

Eric Yarham, Millie's director, said "I made the decision for choosing this play because I loved the music, the structure, the array of different characters, and the wide vocal ranges."

"The kids from Footlighters are very talented," said choreographer Charlotte Ghigliazza. "We often have to put around 8 hours a week in, and that's a normal week. In that week, we usually have 2 dance rehearsals. The exception is the week before the performances."
Continued...
Page 1 of 2 next >

• Crime reignites emphasis on campus safety
  • Election day survival kit
  • Inamori International center for ethics and excellence hosts international peace and war summit
  • Investing now for retirement pays off later
  • Snyder praises university accomplishments

• 2010 UAA cross country championship preview
  • CWRU XC looks to dominate in UAA championship
  • Hockey picks up first win against CalU
  • No. 23 Spartans take home Baird Bros. Trophy
  • Seniors thump Westminster 6-0 in final home game
  • Spartans trump top-ranked WashU, return home for win on senior day.

• Democracy: the only class where participation is 100 percent of your grade
  • Editorial: Three times (not) a charm
  • What's Scarier than Pelosi & a Boehner? Not Much, Actually.

• Case Western: Zombieland
  • Dim and Den Sum: Cleveland's meal on wheels phenomenon
  • Footlighters aim for Thoroughly Modern performance of Millie
  • K'naan enthralls concertgoers courtesy of UPB
  • Playhouse Square's Legally Blonde offers surprisingly enjoyable escapist fare
  • Shaking things up
  • Small, yet dedicated group of materials science majors represent CWRU at convention in Houston