Students shack up for Habitat for Humanity

Sage Schaff

A student works on his cardboard creation. This year's Let's Shack Up event raised $1200, much of which will be donated to the Greater Cleveland chapter of Habitat for Humanity.
Castles, rocket ships, and even Hogwarts were just a few of the cardboard house designs made by inspired Case Western Reserve University students at Habitat for Humanity's eighth annual Let's Shack Up event. Let's Shake Up, Habitat's largest annual philanthropy event took place last Friday and Saturday, Sept. 17 and 18 on Freiberger Field.

The location itself signifies that Let's Shack Up continues to grow, as up until this year it was held on the much smaller Kelvin Smith Library Oval. However, the move to Freiberger Field was hardly the only change in this year's edition. Habitat president Thomas Connor, a senior, says he was inspired by the entertainment provided at the CWRU Relay for Life last spring. Connor wanted to give Let's Shack Up the same type of festive atmosphere this year. Habitat invited student groups like Speakeasy, Dhamakapella, the Juggling Club, and IMPROVment to perform into the early hours of Saturday morning.

Because of the bolstered entertainment options, Connor said the main mission of the event was altered to create a more relaxed environment. In previous years there would mainly be a guest speaker to convey the goal of "gaining a better understanding of not being able to live in good housing," he explained. But as students began constructing more complex and creative cardboard houses, Let's Shack Up became more about bonding and raising money for the Greater Cleveland Habitat for Humanity. This year's event raised around $1200, most of which will be donated to the Greater Cleveland chapter.

Connor estimated that about 300 people participated in the shack-building, with around 70 people spending the entire night in their cardboard abodes. The shack-building competition was intense, featuring three separate divisions, with prizes for the winner of each.

Students from the Cleveland Institute of Art won the general division, claiming prizes of gift cards provided by local restaurants and retailers and decorated hammers, symbolic of the work Habitat puts into building real houses throughout the year. The Alpha Chi Omega sorority won the Greek Life division with a castle complete with drawbridge and moat. Juniper Residential College was responsible for the Hogwarts-themed construction, which put them at the top of the Residential Colleges Division.

Connor said that the three residential colleges sponsored teams, mostly divided by floors of the various freshman dormitories. They also helped pay the entrance fees, which provided a major incentive for freshmen to participate in Let's Shack Up. Connor speculated that this may have been a main reason for this year's spike in participation and will definitely be continued in the future.

Though the conditions throughout the night were harsh, the Residence Hall Association donated pizza to fuel the creative construction efforts. Those who spent the night on the field also awoke to breakfast catered by Bon Appétit and Einstein Bros., re-energizing students with food, festivities, and good-spirited competition. "The scale of Let's Shack Up basically multiplied by ten," said Connor.

Though it is by far the largest of CWRU Habitat's events, Let's Shack Up is certainly not the only one. Connor said the next thing to look out for is the Family Weekend tool drive, which will take place over Family Weekend in November. Students and any visiting family members can bring used tools to be donated to the Habitat for Humanity Restore.

• CWRU adopts American Council of Education guidance
  • CWRU chefs participate in Eat Local Challenge
  • Faculty senate evaluates possibility of core curriculum
  • Marla J. Radvansky, valued CWRU community member, passes away unexpectedly
  • Pilot service program helps community, recognizes students

• GAMEDAY PREVIEW: CWRU vs. Allegheny
  • Hockey opens season tonight
  • Men's Soccer Ends Slump with Win Against Heidelberg
  • Spartans win big on Heritage Night

• Fun page Solutions 10/1/2010

• Editorial: Despite minor problems, studying abroad is experience not to be missed
  • Rollover money will benefit all students if given to University Center
  • Take a chill pill - for America
  • The weekend blues

• A trip to... Shaker Square, Larchmere
  • Cleveland Indie Pop Consortium
  • Cleveland Orchestra opens season with banner Stravinsky, Debussy performance
  • Grog Shop celebrates 18th birthday with national headliners, local DJs
  • Home sweet Homecoming
  • Ingenuity Fest 2010
  • Let's talk about
  • Mortar Board sponsors Tee Time for the Troops
  • Strut your Spartan and get your Gaga on: KATWalk 2010