Beating the banks with checking and savings accounts

Bill Boyer

• Page 1 of 2 next >
It's a good idea to have both a savings and a checking account. It's also important to analyze your bank's customer service, any fees you are paying, and the interest you are receiving. Consider switching to a new bank if you don't like what you see.
Opening up checking and savings accounts are the first steps in taking control of your personal finances. If you already have a checking and savings account, you are on the right track. If your parents manage them though, you should probably ask them permission to be reading a newspaper all by yourself without them holding your hand and singing you a lullaby.

Having a checking and savings account will provide you with a strong foundation for your personal finances. However, for this to work, you must understand and optimize your bank accounts so that you beat the banks and not vice versa. Although these accounts are arguably the simplest to understand compared to other personal finance issues, many people become overwhelmed and suffer from hidden bank fees and poor returns.

As you probably know, a checking account lets you deposit money and withdraw it via checks, debit cards, and online transfers. Savings accounts pay interest and are used for short to midterm savings (typically up to five years). This includes saving for Christmas gifts, a vacation, a down payment on a car, or even a wedding. Once again, the main difference here is that savings accounts pay interest. Unfortunately, most large banks only pay 0.5 percent interest, whereas inflation is typically around 3 percent. This means that while you might be earning 0.5 percent every year, you are actually losing 2.5 percent annually when you consider the purchasing power of your money.

You might be wondering why having both accounts is necessary. The simplest answer is that this system makes managing your money very easy. Think of your savings account as a place where you deposit your money to earn interest while your checking account is where you withdraw money from. Checking accounts are designed for easy withdrawal, while federal regulations prevent you from making more than six withdrawals per month from a savings account. Having a savings account also gives you great way to budget your money. If every month you deposit $100 into your savings account and leave the rest for spending, you will not be able to access that $100 very quickly and will have successfully saved it.
Continued...
Page 1 of 2 next >

• CWRU adopts American Council of Education guidance
  • CWRU chefs participate in Eat Local Challenge
  • Faculty senate evaluates possibility of core curriculum
  • Marla J. Radvansky, valued CWRU community member, passes away unexpectedly
  • Pilot service program helps community, recognizes students

• GAMEDAY PREVIEW: CWRU vs. Allegheny
  • Hockey opens season tonight
  • Men's Soccer Ends Slump with Win Against Heidelberg
  • Spartans win big on Heritage Night

• Fun page Solutions 10/1/2010

• Editorial: Despite minor problems, studying abroad is experience not to be missed
  • Rollover money will benefit all students if given to University Center
  • Take a chill pill - for America
  • The weekend blues

• A trip to... Shaker Square, Larchmere
  • Cleveland Indie Pop Consortium
  • Cleveland Orchestra opens season with banner Stravinsky, Debussy performance
  • Grog Shop celebrates 18th birthday with national headliners, local DJs
  • Home sweet Homecoming
  • Ingenuity Fest 2010
  • Let's talk about
  • Mortar Board sponsors Tee Time for the Troops
  • Strut your Spartan and get your Gaga on: KATWalk 2010