Editorial: Halfway to equality for all students

Students at Case Western Reserve University are used to thinking globally, both in classes and as they pursue jobs. Conference calls to Buenos Aires or attending a business meeting in Beijing is incredibly simple nowadays, thanks to technology like Skype and Google Phone. However, students seem to have forgotten in the midst of all of this impersonal, near-instant communication what it means to actually be a new arrival in a foreign country. Even though work and school connects us to people from across the globe every day, we never take the time to consider how much more difficult such communication can be in person.

This is the dilemma that CWRU's international students face every single day. The university, aware of the difficulty these students face adjusting to college life in the U.S., implemented a fantastic international student orientation program this summer - and we could not be more proud of it. We feel that CWRU has long prided itself on being a welcoming community unafraid to embrace diversity. By implementing the new international student orientation, we feel that the retention rates of international students and overall quality of the international student experience will be greatly enhanced, making CWRU more appealing to prospective international students.

However, it is disappointing that there continues to be such a disconnect between international and domestic students once classes start. One reason frequently cited by international students is that they are automatically disqualified for need-based and merit scholarships. This seems to do a double disservice to these students: not only do their families have to pay the entire cost of tuition in addition to room, board, and supplies, but it also perpetuates the myth that all international students can afford to pay these costs of attendance ($52,003 for the 2010 - 2011 academic year) out-of-pocket. In reality, international students have to pay these costs with whatever means possible - most likely through private loans, like most domestic students on campus. We are sure that the university is not as nefarious so to market CWRU directly to international students in hopes of getting the full sticker price out of them, but we feel strongly that international students should be eligible for the same scholarships and CWRU-specific aid as domestic students. Should CWRU want to continue on the inclusive trajectory it is setting itself on, administrators must find ways to distribute aid to international students.

Finally, domestic students - particularly those in leadership positions in student groups and activities - should feel compelled to reach out to international students in hopes of furthering their assimilation into CWRU culture. The next time your organization wants to put on an event or is looking for new members, contact the staff at the International Student Services (ISS) or Educational Services for Students (ESS) offices. Both offices can offer student leaders assistance engaging international students directly - and also help international students get more involved around the CWRU campus. Although we've made great strides with the international student orientation, the university must take additional steps to ensure scholarship equality for all students regardless of residency, and both international and domestic students must work together to form a stronger, more cohesive student body.

• A conversation with Mark Chavis
  • Administration commits to increase traffic safety
  • CWRU promises diversity, lacks equality
  • Eliminating your Credit Card Debt
  • Filer system to undergo changes in near future
  • Uptown project breaks ground in University Circle

• Crew Team steers closer to boathouse
  • CWRU looks to dominate at JCU
  • Spartan football kicks off season with big win
  • Spartan Spotlight: Niro Wimalasena
  • Spartan XC dominates 10th annual Bill Sudeck Classic
  • Volleyball starts hot, cools down

• Fun Page Solutions 9/10/2010

• Editorial: Halfway to equality for all students
  • Poor of wallet, not of spirit
  • State Your Case 09/10/2010
  • The war in Iraq is over�if you want it

• 29th Annual Studio-A-Rama festival to host Black Angels, nine regional acts
  • A trip to Ohio City
  • Cleveland Air Show dazzles, deafens city despite inclement weather
  • Cuzin' Dave Wilson of WRUW passes away, leaves behind legacy
  • Facebook nightmares redux
  • Hitting the Spot: Colour Revolt
  • Rock Hall receives $5 million endowment for upcoming reconstruction