USG Brief

Gabby Markoff

In the third week in meeting for Case Western Reserve University's Undergraduate Student Government (USG), many exciting topics were discussed involving campus and the student body. President Minh-tri Nguyen spoke about recent communications with the Ohio Department of Transportation about plans for a cross-state passenger rail service that will connect Ohio's largest cities as soon as 2012. Nguyen said this will be great for future students coming to CWRU from the Cincinnati, Columbus, and Dayton areas.

Vice president of Student Life Divya Aggarwal spoke about this week's Fire Safety Fair on Tuesday afternoon on the main quad. The fair was very successful, with USG giving away cotton candy to students and various groups recognizing safety concerns on campus.

Aggarwal also addressed concerns expressed fom last week about the dining halls. Aggarwal reminded the General Assembly that even though Leutner is closed on weekdays from 2-5 p.m. L3 remains open during that time. Additionally, Leutner closes at 8 p.m. on weekday evenings, but L3 is now open until 10 p.m. Whether the dining halls will open earlier on weekend mornings has been brought to the table as a future topic of discussion.

The last item mentioned was the Farm Harvest Festival, co-sponsored by USG. The festival will be at CWRU's farm on Saturday, Sept. 25, from 2-7 p.m. Transportation from Thwing to the farm will be provided for students.

Vice president of finance Colin Downey announced that the internal audit of accounts is now complete and that the account balances can currently be found on the USG website.

Vice president of information technology Kelly Maloney addressed printing concerns that have been raised. Recent concerns over printing reliability as well as an increase in printers around campus were discussed. Higher printing balanced in Nord were also suggested. These are being looked into. A new firewall has also gone into effect that will no longer block students from playing Steam games online.

Elections for the open representative spots were filled. There are still no candidates for the Francis Payne Bolton School of Nursing position. Elections will stay open until the position is filled.

Four candidates ran for the three open positions in the College of Arts and Sciences: Andrew Brown, Cecilia Li, and Alice Luo are the new representatives. Becca Rosenberger was the sole runner for the Case School of Engineering spot and won the election. Miral Lendell beat two two other candidetes to win the Weatherhead School of Management position.

During open forum, it was requested that the opening hours of Access Services and Student Employment be extended. It was also noted that the bell outside the Veale parking garage is broken and needs to be fixed. Representative Kaiti Zolton spoke about double-sided printing as an option in Nord and other printing locations, and the Student Sustainability Council is working on implementing this suggestion across campus.

• A conversation with Mark Chavis
  • Administration commits to increase traffic safety
  • CWRU promises diversity, lacks equality
  • Eliminating your Credit Card Debt
  • Filer system to undergo changes in near future
  • Uptown project breaks ground in University Circle

• Crew Team steers closer to boathouse
  • CWRU looks to dominate at JCU
  • Spartan football kicks off season with big win
  • Spartan Spotlight: Niro Wimalasena
  • Spartan XC dominates 10th annual Bill Sudeck Classic
  • Volleyball starts hot, cools down

• Fun Page Solutions 9/10/2010

• Editorial: Halfway to equality for all students
  • Poor of wallet, not of spirit
  • State Your Case 09/10/2010
  • The war in Iraq is over�if you want it

• 29th Annual Studio-A-Rama festival to host Black Angels, nine regional acts
  • A trip to Ohio City
  • Cleveland Air Show dazzles, deafens city despite inclement weather
  • Cuzin' Dave Wilson of WRUW passes away, leaves behind legacy
  • Facebook nightmares redux
  • Hitting the Spot: Colour Revolt
  • Rock Hall receives $5 million endowment for upcoming reconstruction