Uptown project breaks ground in University Circle

Sage Schaff

Last month, local developing firm MRN Ltd. began construction on the UPTOWN project, the large-scale rejuvenation of the area on Euclid Avenue between Mayfield Road and E. 115th Street. The project will involve the erection of new apartment units and restaurants, bars, and other retailers.
Have you walked down Euclid Avenue on the north part of campus recently and wondered what's going on with all the construction? Last month, local developing firm MRN Ltd. began construction on the Uptown project, a large-scale rejuvenation of the area on Euclid Avenue between Mayfield Road and E. 115 Street. By spring 2012, a number of new attractions and housing units will be open to the public.

Over one hundred new apartment units are expected to be available by late 2011. These will provide convenient options close to campus for upper-class Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland Institute of Art, and Cleveland Institute of Music students. Kevin Slesh, director of commercial development at CWRU, says that there will be "one-bedroom and two-bedroom units that will have monthly rents in the range of $750 to $2000."

There will also be a mix of restaurants, bars, and other retailers. The mainstay of the retail end of the project is a Barnes and Noble, which Slesh said "will serve as CWRU's bookstore for textbooks and other CWRU paraphernalia." In addition to residential and commercial construction, the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) plans to begin building its new museum at the corner of Euclid and Mayfield, before the end of this year and will open by spring 2012.

There is also great news for CIA students regarding the Joseph McCullough Center. CIA is currently undergoing a complete campus "modernization and unification project," according to the school's blog. By the end of this year, CIA hopes to transfer its campus library from the Gund Building on East Boulevard to the ground floor of the JMC.

And that is just the first phase of the overall scheme. Phase two, expected to begin next year, centers around "the construction of a visually distinctive new building immediately west of and fully interconnected to McCullough." All classes will then be conducted in brand new classrooms in the JMC, equipped with the best technology available. At the conclusion of this massive undertaking, CIA's campus will be fully unified for the first time in over 25 years.

If construction remains on schedule, students and residents of University Circle should be able to take advantage of all of these exciting additions by the spring of 2012.

• A conversation with Mark Chavis
  • Administration commits to increase traffic safety
  • CWRU promises diversity, lacks equality
  • Eliminating your Credit Card Debt
  • Filer system to undergo changes in near future
  • Uptown project breaks ground in University Circle

• Crew Team steers closer to boathouse
  • CWRU looks to dominate at JCU
  • Spartan football kicks off season with big win
  • Spartan Spotlight: Niro Wimalasena
  • Spartan XC dominates 10th annual Bill Sudeck Classic
  • Volleyball starts hot, cools down

• Fun Page Solutions 9/10/2010

• Editorial: Halfway to equality for all students
  • Poor of wallet, not of spirit
  • State Your Case 09/10/2010
  • The war in Iraq is over�if you want it

• 29th Annual Studio-A-Rama festival to host Black Angels, nine regional acts
  • A trip to Ohio City
  • Cleveland Air Show dazzles, deafens city despite inclement weather
  • Cuzin' Dave Wilson of WRUW passes away, leaves behind legacy
  • Facebook nightmares redux
  • Hitting the Spot: Colour Revolt
  • Rock Hall receives $5 million endowment for upcoming reconstruction