Lady Spartans to face tough competition in Labor Day Tournament

Women's Soccer

Sonya Narla

Issue date: 9/3/10 Section: Sports
Defender Maeve Goede marks an opponent last year. Goede and the rest of the Spartan back line will be crucial in this weekend's tournament.
This upcoming weekend, the Case Western Reserve University's women's soccer team faces two new opponents - Denison University and Kenyon College - in Denison's Labor Day Tournament. Though neither Denison nor Kenyon is in the UAA conference, they are by no means easy adversaries.

Located in Gambier, Ohio, Kenyon plays in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC), where they secured the championship in 2006. Clearly the Kenyon program is used to success and has established a top-team reputation in their conference as well as in the entire Division III. Kenyon is traditionally a back-line team. They thrive on their defensive stability and are consistently recognized for their strong defense-focused program, their most recent accolade being Sam Schaeny named 2008's Defensive Player of the Year.

Players to watch include Caddie Durrett and Hannah Lodi. A senior captain, Lodi secures the back line. She epitomizes Kenyon's capacity for defensive play - strong tackles, communication, field vision, and tactical skills. On the other hand, Durrett is a junior forward who was lead scorer last season as just a sophomore. She was also high on the list for assists. Durrett is a threat because she poses a dangerous threat in Kenyon's attack. Durrett has the potential to change Kenyon's strong defensive reputation into a balance of defensive and offensive threat.

Kenyon continues the pattern of strength in tradition, with the presence of longstanding head coach Kelly Bryan. Bryan has been head coach since Kenyon's 2003 season, and in 2006 won NCAC Coach of the Year. CWRU's performance against Kenyon should be indicative of their future UAA games. Like the UAA powerhouses, Kenyon challenges CWRU's relatively new, young program with experience and consistency.

Denison University is fairly similar Kenyon. They have experience and consistency, evident by the 13-year tenure of head coach Gail Murphy. Last season, Denison finished with their 11th NCAA National Tournament appearance, and came in first place and undefeated in the NCAC. However, Denison lost valuable senior Kimmi Oshita, who won second team All-American honors All-NCAC honors, and NCAC offensive player of the year honors, and also led the league in goals last year.

Like Kenyon, Denison has a strong defense - which they refer to as the 'Big Red Backline.' Senior Haley Gewehr anchors this defense alongside junior backs Jenn Sloan and Angie Coderre. Denison is undoubtedly a tough program with talent and experience-what will be challenging for them is filling the shoes of Oshita in the attack.

CWRU faces some similar issues: while the Spartans have a strong backline with veterans like junior Laura Gabster, they face challenges filling the gaps in their offensive line. Some people argue that a strong defense is a good offense, but without goals there's no shot at a win. For the Spartans to pull it off, they need to maintain their transitions through the midfield and will need a forward to step it up - big time - and put some shots in the back of the net.

• Current SEC board coping with unfinished business
  • CWRU ranked in top 50 by U.S. News & World Report for 15th year
  • CWRU sees second highest amount of donations in history
  • Leutner Dining Café opens to pleasant reviews
  • RAM founder Stan Brock receives 2010 Inamori Prize
  • Student injured crossing Adelbert
  • Tense SEC open forum addresses internal SEC issues and upcoming Greek Life referendum

• Gameday Preview: CWRU vs. JCU
  • Lady Spartans to face tough competition in Labor Day Tournament
  • NFL Preview: Division breakdowns
  • Spartans soundly defeat Hiram Terriers
  • When it rains, it pours

• Bush who? What the 2003 tax cuts mean for your 2011 job outlook
  • Editorial: Permanent solutions necessary to protect student safety
  • Letter to the Editor: Proud to be Greek
  • Letter to the Editor: Stronger SEC commitment to accountability, their constitution needed before they take away Greek Life's money
  • Rough and tumble: the spirit of Cleveland
  • What's your favorite part of Leutner?

• Distractions
  • Engineers Without Borders breaks cultural boundaries, builds wells in Cameroon
  • Expansive Ancient Galleries latest addition to Cleveland Museum of Art
  • Facebook nightmares
  • Friends and strangers combine forces to help Paul Paterson graduate
  • Going back to Those Gold Soundz: The Church of Andrew W.K.
  • Jesty Beatz brings fame to Zeta Psi house
  • MOCA makes big plans for move to University Circle
  • Modern music dominates new season for Cleveland Orchestra