Conference Previews

Sonya Narla

Issue date: 8/27/10 Section: Sports
          Washington University in St. Louis: Last season finished as NCAA Division III runner-up, obviously the biggest UAA powerhouse. Predicted to come in first in the UAA conference for this 2010 season- they will be the team to beat. Junior forward Emma Brown is the player to watch - quick and unpredictable, she clearly deserved the All-UAA honors she received last season.

University of Rochester: Another UAA powerhouse team, though last season they said goodbye to five seniors. If their four All-UAA veterans can step up even more this year - which seems more than likely - they'll continue to be a leading force in the conference. Player to watch is junior Ellen Coleman, who last season received second-team All-American honors.

University of Chicago: Ranked 22nd for NCAA Division III in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America's preseason poll. Went 14-4-1 overall in the 2009 season and got a bid to the NCAA tournament for the 11th time in the past 14 years. Last season, UChicago had 7 players receive All-UAA honors. Player to watch is Senior Sarah Loh, who scored the team-high of 12 goals last season.

New York University: This year's NYU squad loses just one senior. Combined with a handful of new freshmen, this should make for a much stronger team. Last year NYU went 10-9-1 overall. The Spartans beat them last year and should do the same this year. Nevertheless, the NYU player to watch is defender Katie Gaston, a two time All-UAA honoree.

Carnegie Mellon: One of the weaker teams in the UAA - but considering how competitive the UAA is, this doesn't mean much. Player to watch is senior Emily Overstreet, who has led the Tartans in assists for the past two seasons, and poses a threat in the midfield.

Emory University: Last year Emory had an overall winning season, and in the matchup the Spartans lost to them by just one point. Emory also was able to tie powerhouse WashU, but was unable to beat NYU and ended that match in just a tie. Emory's inconsistence could work against them this year, but not if player to watch and lead scorer Melanie Levy continues to shine.

Brandeis: Brandeis has made it to the post season in the past five seasons, and so undoubtedly pose a threat. However, leading scorer Sarah Jasak graduated, leaving Brandeis with a large gap to fill in the attack. A lot depends on their incoming freshmen class. Player to watch is Melissa Gorenkoff in the midfield, who earned second team All-UAA honors last season as well.

Case Western Reserve University: The Spartans lost five starters but return four all-UAA selections. The team is young, but with experience as the majority of starters are juniors and sophomores. The team may have to take a few steps back and find leadership in attack where there are no senior forwards. Take a look at junior Anna Kennedy who has risen to UAA prominence as a keeper.

• Major work on LGBT Center completed
          • Meet your USG Executive Board
          • More to coffee than its morning punch
          • New international student orientation session debuts
          • Optimizing your credit cards
          • University names new controller
          • USG Briefs: Filer to be taken offline

• A conversation with Otto Penicka, voice of Spartan athletics
          • Another year, another slap in the face
          • Conference Previews
          • Men's XC team to avenge snub
          • Spartan Spotlight: Cindy Spahn
          • Spartan women have their eye on return trip to Nationals
          • Women's Soccer looks to build on surprising season

• Flouting the system, 101
          • Letter to the Editor: Commutes Students Association offers home to all CWRU students
          • Spreading the wealth
          • Student body, SEC ready to move on

• Going back to Those Gold Soundz: I was a six-year-old Phish phan
          • Kate Voegele, Meagan McCormick charm crowd at Welcome Back Concert
          • One student's story: wielding Magic in foreign countries.
          • Scott Pilgrim epitomizes style over substance in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
          • SEC positively affecting campus
          • Welcome Back Comedy Night a real laugh
          • Welcome Days