Welcome Back Comedy Night a real laugh

Rachel Hunt

• Page 1 of 2 next >
          Greg Steele, chosen as the replacement for comedian Dan Cummins six hours before UPB's Comedy Night, ended up falling flat by many students' standards.
          "Have you ever heard of the power of suggestion?" hypnotist Greg Steele asked the students at Welcome Days Comedy Night. It seems that no one had ever heard of the power of suggestion, not even UPB to whom many would have "suggested" that Comedy Night be postponed in order to find a more appropriate act. After two cancellations from comedians that UPB had previously booked, Steele was scheduled as an impromptu replacement only six hours before the show.

The first comic to cancel was Dan Levy, a regular on Chelsea Lately as well and the College Humor powerhouse. Levy also created and co-produced the E! Network's reality TV show Pretty Wild which premiered in March of 2009. The show, about three daughters of a former supermodel, was a hit, probably due in part to all the barely-legal girls. But all this success was knocking hard on Levy's door and he cancelled with UPB in early August in order to take an "exciting offer" that filmed the same night as CWRU's Comedy Night. The cancellation was unfortunate, because Levy has been a hit at college campuses all around the United States and usually jokes around about what kids like: Robert Patterson, sex, and sword fighting.

After Levy cancelled, it was up to UPB to find a replacement, which they managed to do with time to spare. They hired Dan Cummins, a comic that, like Levy, had specials on Comedy Central and who also has a sizeable collegiate following. Cummins has performed at over 200 colleges after getting his big break on Comedy Central's Last Comic Standing. His newest comedy album Revenge is Near landed him a guest appearance on Conan in 2009. At this point, it looked like everything was destined to work out for the best.

Disaster struck early Wednesday morning in the form of a phone call from California. It was Cummins on the line; bad weather had him stranded at the airport with no way to make it to Ohio in time. Julia Pitts, a UPB Traditions Committee Co-chair, sprang into action and immediately started to look for yet another act for the night. "We contacted agencies with whom UPB has relationships, to ascertain what performers we felt would fit the audience appropriately and were available on our date," Pitts said. "The UPB staff is a very collaborative team, especially in times of 'crises' such as a cancellation. It was through one of my fellow board members that I got into contact with Dan Cummins through an agency, and booked him shortly after receiving Dan Levy's cancellation."
          Continued...
          Page 1 of 2 next >

• Major work on LGBT Center completed
          • Meet your USG Executive Board
          • More to coffee than its morning punch
          • New international student orientation session debuts
          • Optimizing your credit cards
          • University names new controller
          • USG Briefs: Filer to be taken offline

• A conversation with Otto Penicka, voice of Spartan athletics
          • Another year, another slap in the face
          • Conference Previews
          • Men's XC team to avenge snub
          • Spartan Spotlight: Cindy Spahn
          • Spartan women have their eye on return trip to Nationals
          • Women's Soccer looks to build on surprising season

• Flouting the system, 101
          • Letter to the Editor: Commutes Students Association offers home to all CWRU students
          • Spreading the wealth
          • Student body, SEC ready to move on

• Going back to Those Gold Soundz: I was a six-year-old Phish phan
          • Kate Voegele, Meagan McCormick charm crowd at Welcome Back Concert
          • One student's story: wielding Magic in foreign countries.
          • Scott Pilgrim epitomizes style over substance in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
          • SEC positively affecting campus
          • Welcome Back Comedy Night a real laugh
          • Welcome Days