One student's story: wielding Magic in foreign countries.

Noah Swartz

Some of the top Magic: The Gathering players compete against each other in a hotel in Japan.
          Professional Magic player and Observer writer Noah Swartz, donning a T-shirt that reads
          Professional Magic player and Observer writer Noah Swartz, donning a T-shirt that reads "Real men knit."
          The beginning of a new semester is a time of fresh faces, swapped stories, and most of all: introductions. As The Observer's beautiful typesetting and talented layout designers have already made apparent (placing it right under the headline) my name is Noah Swartz. I'm a fifth year math major with a lot on my plate while I'm on campus. On top of my writing responsibilities for The Observer, I have a radio show on WRUW (Dropped Among This Crowd Wednesdays at 5 p.m.), and am president of the Case Western Magic: the Gathering Club.

Now, what could someone with such mundane interests do over the summer that would be interesting enough to write an entire article about, you might ask. Well I ended up traveling the globe this summer playing in Magic tournaments. For those who are unaware, Magic is a collectible card game, meaning that for every tournament there is a certain group of cards you can buy, collect, or borrow and play with. The goal of the game is to 'kill' your opponent using spells designated on the cards, and doing so takes a good deal of aptitude and strategic thought. It's a fantasy-themed game, so some of the cards have what might be considered "nerdy" themes such as dragons, angels, vampires, and lhurgoyfu. But the trappings of the game are not the important part. The rules are pretty simple, but finding the correct play every turn can be quite hard.

The ability to travel the world for the game comes from a group of tournaments called the Pro Tour. They are usually held in exotic locations, and the total prize pool for each one is $250,000, with first place winning $40,000. These tournaments are invite-only and usually have 350-400 players in attendance. If you do well enough on the Pro Tour, you can qualify for the next one and eventually hit what is lovingly referred to as "the gravy train" where you are qualified for every Pro Tour each year.

I got my start on the tour back at PT Honolulu in June 2009, where I ended up 54th out of 396 players. Then I went to PT San Juan last May where I placed fourth out of 396. With that top-four performance, not only did I win some prize money but I also managed to qualify for the next four Pro Tours and the next two national and world championships. But my traveling didn't stop there; after San Juan, I went to Japan to play in a Grand Prix (93rd out of 900) but mainly to see the country. When I got back, I placed in the top eight of two continental tournaments, one in Columbus and one in St. Louis.

In Puerto Rico, I enjoyed the sun and shore, and had a few interesting interactions with the locals. In Japan, I explored Tokyo, Sendai, and Kyoto. On that trip I spent the most time traveling out of any of the tournaments that I've traveled for and it definitely paid off. I'd have to say the best part was Harajuku, the major shopping district in Tokyo where I spent a day happily exploring the winding streets and stumbling from boutique to boutique in a fashion-crazed stupor for the better part of the day. Also, each city in Japan is by design beautiful. After getting so accustomed to the banal mediocrity of so many unimpressive Midwest meccas, seeing a bustling, futuristic, urban Japanese hub can be almost overwhelming.

The food there was delicious as well, but as a vegetarian it was a little hard to find things to eat sometimes. And as far as cuisine goes, Puerto Rico takes the cake. Say what I will about the sometimes-run-down cities and oppressively humid climate, they sure know how to make a good plate of plantains. On top of that, some of the ritzier parts of the city had some amazing Puerto Rican fusion restaurants that seamlessly combined traditional island food with Japanese, Indian, and many other cuisines.

Even though traveling was a blast, after nearly three weeks of being away from home, I was pretty glad to be back. I arrived home just in time to go to Minneapolis for Nationals, Gotenburg, Sweden for another Grand Prix, Amsterdam for the next Pro Tour, and then Portland and Toronto for two more Grand Prixes all in the next month. Then right after Finals I'll be on my way to Chiba Japan for Worlds.

All this traveling in foreign countries can be pretty taxing, especially when you factor in all the culture shock. In regards to language barriers, I luckily haven't had too much of a problem yet, and as far as playing the game goes,

that can be done almost entirely without words, as long as you and your opponent can avoid disputes. Luckily the judging staff at most tournaments is pretty good about accommodating foreign players.

The worst thing that happened to me was when I found out that Puerto Ricans use Pork Crackling in place of butter, meaning the mashed plantain dish called Mofongo that I had had the last two nights had been full of delicious non-vegetarian ingredients. Or maybe it was when a car full of punk teenagers almost beat us up because we were walking on the wrong side of the street. Or when I got on the wrong cross-country train in Japan and got separated from my brother, the only Japanese speaker I knew. Luckily I managed to avoid any run-ins with the law and was never in any serious danger.

Unfortunately, with all this card playing, I didn't have any time for a real job. Preparation is a big part of the game, so even when I'm not playing in tournaments I'm constantly testing out new ideas or practicing to get better. I don't mind much though, because I essentially can do whatever I want all summer, and then show up to tournaments and collect a paycheck.

As far as what I'm going to do with the money I've won, I've got a few ideas…

• Major work on LGBT Center completed
          • Meet your USG Executive Board
          • More to coffee than its morning punch
          • New international student orientation session debuts
          • Optimizing your credit cards
          • University names new controller
          • USG Briefs: Filer to be taken offline

• A conversation with Otto Penicka, voice of Spartan athletics
          • Another year, another slap in the face
          • Conference Previews
          • Men's XC team to avenge snub
          • Spartan Spotlight: Cindy Spahn
          • Spartan women have their eye on return trip to Nationals
          • Women's Soccer looks to build on surprising season

• Flouting the system, 101
          • Letter to the Editor: Commutes Students Association offers home to all CWRU students
          • Spreading the wealth
          • Student body, SEC ready to move on

• Going back to Those Gold Soundz: I was a six-year-old Phish phan
          • Kate Voegele, Meagan McCormick charm crowd at Welcome Back Concert
          • One student's story: wielding Magic in foreign countries.
          • Scott Pilgrim epitomizes style over substance in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
          • SEC positively affecting campus
          • Welcome Back Comedy Night a real laugh
          • Welcome Days