• New Features
            • Plan Spring Break!
            • Learn about your Finances

The last hurrah: experiencing senior week

Anna Gunther

Senior week includes a day excursion to Put-In-Bay (bottom) and movie night featuring the classic
          Senior week includes a day excursion to Put-In-Bay (bottom) and movie night featuring the classic "Anchorman," and concludes with a cruise along the Cuyahoga on Goodtimes III (top).
          Now that my vitamin D deficiency is slowly coming back to base levels, and I'm feeling less miserable than normal, there's only one thing to do: party! Screw final exams. We are nearing the end of our undergraduate experience, and what better way to celebrate than with a week's worth of debauchery?

Perhaps I was just living under a rock for the past three years, but it wasn't until the beginning of my final year that I came to realize that senior week is an excuse to drink excessively, and I have nothing but praise for this effort. Senior week is not just the official countdown until graduation, but it's a chance for students to blow off some steam the old-fashioned way after four years of hard work. Way to go graduates, you deserve a little fun.

Some friends of mine were involved in the planning of the events, so I have heard a little about what some of the activities will be. However, the official list is now available online at http://www.filer.case.edu/org/seniorweek, and I can honestly say that every event looks amazing. With the purchase of your senior week tickets, you receive a ticket to an Indians game, entrance to Coventry night, a ticket to outdoor movie night (they'll be showing "Anchorman"), and passage to the West 6th bar crawl, among others. Ending the weeklong shenanigans is an elusive-sounding 'Goodtimes Cruise'; which I hear is almost like a semi-formal.

I have been trying to understand what it would feel like to have zero work to do for the first time in my life. There have always been summer readings, homework assignments, or a job, but now nothing is planned after this semester, so I might as well take advantage of this mini-vacation. Once we enter the real world, we must get used to the standard two weeks off per year (plus or minus a few sick days). By dedicating a whole week to partying with our friends, this really is the mark of the end. After this, we are no longer rowdy college students but adults, and must act accordingly. Senior week gives us an opportunity to say goodbye to our college friends.

About a month ago, I was starting to feel really sad about leaving what has been my home. There's a lot to be scared of after May 16. After much thought, I knew I had to make a decision about how I was going to spend my remaining weeks. The choices were: be miserable, or embrace life and live it to the fullest. I chose the latter, and have been having a great time.

Senior week is a fabulous way to manifest this frame of mind. We can mope, or we can kick back a tequila shot and party like we're graduating from college. It's been a roller coaster of emotions the past few months, and I can't pretend that it won't be difficult to move on, but why not go out in style? There's no other way I would rather leave Case than with my senior class, singing "Party in the USA" in a bar that I have visited to more times than I can count during my years at Case.

• A Conversation with Caroline Goulding
          • Don't blow it all at once: financial tips for recent graduates
          • International student session to debut during 2010 orientation
          • Name That Place - 4/23/2010
          • Relay For Life raises $76,000, short of goal but not short of spirit
          • Student Leadership Award Winners
          • Tanning dangers abound as summer approaches
          • What Now?
          • Mass funding successful for some, headache for other organizations

• Case falls to Wooster at Progressive Field
          • Spartan Spotlight: Obinna Nwanna
          • Spartans are optimistic heading into UAA's
          • Spartans extend win streak to six
          • Spartans snap long losing streak
          • The next step
          • Top 10 Spartan stories of 2009-2010

• 2009-2010 Year in Review
          • Letter to the Editor: Straight Answers to Questions about Greek Life Funding
          • Living - and dying - on your own terms
          • The last hurrah: experiencing senior week
          • What are you doing this summer?

• A final fling for finals
          • Despite an oppressive crowd and disappointing opener, Ben Folds continues to impress on stage
          • MaDaCol performance distinguishes dance as alternative communication medium
          • Parting word of advice: Express yourself
          • Springfest blowout to feature activities, student bands and national headlines
          • The best bars in Cleveland
          • Tri-C Jazz Festival features stunning jazz organ performance, among others