• New Features
            • Plan Spring Break!
            • Learn about your Finances

Parting word of advice: Express yourself

Emily Mikhail

• Page 1 of 2 next >
          Coco Chanel, perhaps the most renowned and celebrated fashion designer in history, once said,
          Coco Chanel, perhaps the most renowned and celebrated fashion designer in history, once said, "Fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening."
          My fellow Case fashionistas, the school year is finally coming to a close and so is my weekly advice. I have spent the past few days contemplating what I should write for my last chance to make Case a stylish place. I thought about graduation attire, bathing suit trends, and even banana hammocks by popular request. However, nothing seemed to be good enough. Seeing as how my article is already two days late, I had to muster up some kind of valuable, inspiring, and even memorable thoughts to leave you with after I head out into the real world. All that thinking made me hungry, so after spending about an hour eating lunch and further procrastinating, I decided to finally sit down and get to it.

Normally I thrive on telling people what to do, and especially what to wear, but this time I had nothing. For the past twenty-two years, I have probably experimented with every kind of fashion. I was once a prep, an emo, a hippie, a hipster, a vintage-obsessed girl. Now, when I try to define my style, I have trouble categorizing it. It took years to develop what I like to call "The Em trend." I realized that being fashionable isn't about having the most expensive brands, a personal stylist, or the Lady Gaga look. It is about finding out who you are and expressing that person through your clothes. Fashion is so much more than a color, cut, and pattern. It's a way of life.

Coco Chanel once said that "Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." These words made me take a second look at the meaning of fashion. What are we trying to say through our clothes? Is there a deeper meaning to it all?

After spending about twenty minutes staring at my paisley summer dress trying to decipher its message I realized the philosophy seminar I took freshman year wasn't helping me one bit. I was definitely having issues finding the "deeper meaning" or "political message" of my clothes. Something tells me my peers are probably not getting dressed in the morning thinking about how they are going to change women's rights or global warming by wearing a floral blouse. However, I bet all of you can channel some emotional response to your clothing. So maybe there is something more to fashion than what is on the cover of Vogue magazine.
          Continued...
          Page 1 of 2 next >

• A Conversation with Caroline Goulding
          • Don't blow it all at once: financial tips for recent graduates
          • International student session to debut during 2010 orientation
          • Name That Place - 4/23/2010
          • Relay For Life raises $76,000, short of goal but not short of spirit
          • Student Leadership Award Winners
          • Tanning dangers abound as summer approaches
          • What Now?
          • Mass funding successful for some, headache for other organizations

• Case falls to Wooster at Progressive Field
          • Spartan Spotlight: Obinna Nwanna
          • Spartans are optimistic heading into UAA's
          • Spartans extend win streak to six
          • Spartans snap long losing streak
          • The next step
          • Top 10 Spartan stories of 2009-2010

• 2009-2010 Year in Review
          • Letter to the Editor: Straight Answers to Questions about Greek Life Funding
          • Living - and dying - on your own terms
          • The last hurrah: experiencing senior week
          • What are you doing this summer?

• A final fling for finals
          • Despite an oppressive crowd and disappointing opener, Ben Folds continues to impress on stage
          • MaDaCol performance distinguishes dance as alternative communication medium
          • Parting word of advice: Express yourself
          • Springfest blowout to feature activities, student bands and national headlines
          • The best bars in Cleveland
          • Tri-C Jazz Festival features stunning jazz organ performance, among others