• New Features
            • Plan Spring Break!
            • Learn about your Finances

Have you heard about The Confused Greenies

Gianela Diaz-Gaines

The Confused Greenies received USG recognition as an official group in 2007 and regularly perform improv pieces inspired by the Commedia dell'Arte.
          Case Western Reserve University is full of talented individuals, and some of them happen to be members of the comedic improv group, The Confused Greenies.

The Confused Greenies is a unique improv group inspired by commedia dell'Arte from the Renaissance. The actors create scenarios and formulate characters that reappear in other performances. Their creativity goes beyond creating punch lines on the spur of the moment. They create plays by combining classical and contemporary themes with the cast using humor to reach out to their audience and the non-actor.

The comedic group first came together in 2006 but received USG recognition as an official group in 2007. There are about 30 members in the group, and 10 very active members from CWRU, who participate in all the performances.

Members such as co-founder and advisor Jess Rudolf, actor Matt Wascher, and president Marshall Hughes are key to The Confused Greenies' success. Hughes takes care of all the administrative business and puts in a great deal of work. Other members are similarly devoted: in one notable performance: one actress actually covered herself entirely in green body paint for a role.

Given the intensity of the CWRU workload, it is unsurprising that The Confused Greenies are very flexible with their members' schedules and desired roles within the organization. Participation is encouraged even if students don't want to act themselves. Acting skills and experience are not a must. As the group emphasizes fun above all else, there is little pressure to impress, creating a comfortable environment for those who are performing for the first time.

The Confused Greenies are also highly involved in the CWRU community, performing at various events and collaborating with other groups. Wascher's personal favorite collaboration was the Masquerade Ball that was put on along with the Italian Club.

"It was a chance to show Case traditional commedia with traditional Italian food, in an Italian setting and traditional Italian culture," he said.

The Confused Greenies had a rather busy schedule for the spring semester. The group performed 10 times with both short and long performances. Performances this year included Farce of the Living Dead: a Romantic Zommedia (zombie comedy) and Dottore Who & the Three Locks of Time.

"The sci-fi one is my personal favorite. I liked that a lot. They took all of the stereotypes of sci-fi and combined it in the play, which I thought was hilarious. You always have to have one of those," said member Elizabeth Johnston.

The next performance will be another sci-fi related to the last Dottore Who, to be held at the beginning of next semester. The show is expected to be a success as these charismatic individuals do a fantastic job of weaving their ideas together to show a new form of artistic improv.

• Cleveland Institute of Art announces new president
          • Have you heard about The Confused Greenies
          • Relay For Life hoping for success as event begins today
          • Undergraduate Student Government inaugurations bring new faces, new initiatives

• For Gobies, this weekend is first step to goal
          • Howe's love of game grows
          • Smetona's workouts work out
          • Spartan Spotlight: Jon Edmunds
          • Spartans drop 13th and 14th straight to Wooster
          • Spartans go 2-2 against Wolverines, Lords
          • Spartans near best win total in school history
          • Whalen auditions for Browns, Mangini
          • When fans care

• City boasts unusual outdoor spaces for observing Cleveland in springtime
          • Editorial: Although meal plan policy remains unchanged, policy seems fundamentally flawed
          • Letters to the editor: Greek Life opportunities
          • Political leaders are ill-equipped to decide when wars are "just"
          • Sticks and stones: bullying still hurts, but can be stopped with just one word
          • What's your favorite flower?

• August: Osage County astonishes audiences
          • International Conference on Narrative successful and engaging
          • Just a Perfect Day
          • Pokémon returns to Nintendo DS with best games in years
          • Rompers: this season's divisive trend
          • Safety First
          • Take a picture, It'll Last Longer: CIA student photo exhibition
          • Tremont: The A-list of Cleveland's bars