• New Features
            • Plan Spring Break!
            • Learn about your Finances

Cleveland Institute of Art announces new president

High expectations await new CIA president Grafton J. Nunes

Nicholas Knoske

Grafton J. Nunes will be coming to CIA from Emerson College, where he has served as dean of the School of Arts for 12 years.
          The Cleveland Institute of Art had been searching for a new director for over a year. The CIA faculty hopes that Nunes will be able to elevate the Institute's profile nationally and increase enrollment.
          On March 26, after a year-long search, the board of directors of The Cleveland Institute of Art (CIA) announced its unanimous election of Grafton J. Nunes to the position of the Institute's president. Nunes serves now as the dean of the School of the Arts at Emerson College and will finish the academic year there before his incumbency at CIA is made official this summer on July 1.

"I think that CIA is very excited to have him on board," said Mark Inglis, the vice president of marketing and communications at CIA. "You know, he did very well in the interview process, and he seems like the right person to lead the institution in this new era. He seems to have business acumen and the special insights that a dean would have on hiring and working with faculty members, interfacing with students, building up an entire school from scratch. I don't want to say he's a seasoned academic, but he is. He's a seasoned academic. But I wouldn't want that term to limit him."

Nunes was discovered through a nationwide search that began just over a year ago, when the Institute started to prepare for the retirement of its current president, David L. Deming. After hiring a global executive search firm to assist with the process, an internal committee was put together to meet with and interview various prospective presidents. The committee first met Nunes in the late fall of 2009, with favorable results.

"In the interviews with Mr. Nunes, I was impressed with his ability to quickly analyze and understand a question or idea, then respond with great clarity. He is a sharp individual with tremendous energy and enthusiasm," said Daniel Cuffaro, the CIA design environment chair and department head of industrial design.

Nunes also presented an impressive curriculum vitae. Besides an extensive education at the College of the Holy Cross and Columbia University where he received his B.A. and an MFA/M.Phil, respectively, his work at Emerson College as the founding dean of the School of the Arts made him an obvious choice.

Unsurprisingly, much is expected of Nunes as he prepares to replace Deming, who will leave a legacy that includes CIA's first-ever digital arts major, substantial raises in funding, the change from a five- to four-year BFA program, and a campus modernization and unification project that seeks to renovate the Joseph McCullough Center (across from Euclid Tavern) and construct a new building just west of it. But there is little doubt that Nunes will prove to be the correct choice.

"Mr. Deming had a very specific charge of realizing a new CIA campus, which is well under way," said Cuffaro. "Our next step is to create a long-term sustainable vision for CIA. Mr. Nunes's past history is a great indicator that he is up to the task. I foresee his leadership helping us elevate our profile nationally, increase enrollment and forge regional, national and international partnerships."

The history that Cuffaro mentions is a reference to Nunes's accomplishments at Emerson College, where the dean was able to breathe life into a decaying Boston neighborhood through the construction of cutting-edge facilities for the arts. There is hope that Nunes might be able to bring this kind of transformation to Cleveland, too.

"Emerson College was instrumental in transforming Boston's 'combat zone' into a thriving neighborhood," Cuffaro said. "We believe that Mr. Nunes's direct involvement in that process gives him a valuable perspective as University Circle moves forward with the Uptown project, and Cleveland begins to realize the potential of the Euclid Avenue corridor. Mr. Nunes refers to University Circle as an 'acropolis' that is unmatched in the US in terms of assets. His ideas of what is possible and his direct experiences should be leveraged by this community."

This optimism is perhaps what attracted CIA to Nunes in the first place. Though there were other qualified candidates, Cuffaro says that the finalists were judged on their potential to inspire others, and that Nunes was an easy choice in this category when his work in Boston was considered.

"He really gets it," said Inglis. "He really appreciates the opportunities for CIA within Cleveland: developing new, strategic partnerships and relationships with our neighbors in University Circle and beyond."

• Cleveland Institute of Art announces new president
          • Have you heard about The Confused Greenies
          • Relay For Life hoping for success as event begins today
          • Undergraduate Student Government inaugurations bring new faces, new initiatives

• For Gobies, this weekend is first step to goal
          • Howe's love of game grows
          • Smetona's workouts work out
          • Spartan Spotlight: Jon Edmunds
          • Spartans drop 13th and 14th straight to Wooster
          • Spartans go 2-2 against Wolverines, Lords
          • Spartans near best win total in school history
          • Whalen auditions for Browns, Mangini
          • When fans care

• City boasts unusual outdoor spaces for observing Cleveland in springtime
          • Editorial: Although meal plan policy remains unchanged, policy seems fundamentally flawed
          • Letters to the editor: Greek Life opportunities
          • Political leaders are ill-equipped to decide when wars are "just"
          • Sticks and stones: bullying still hurts, but can be stopped with just one word
          • What's your favorite flower?

• August: Osage County astonishes audiences
          • International Conference on Narrative successful and engaging
          • Just a Perfect Day
          • Pokémon returns to Nintendo DS with best games in years
          • Rompers: this season's divisive trend
          • Safety First
          • Take a picture, It'll Last Longer: CIA student photo exhibition
          • Tremont: The A-list of Cleveland's bars