• New Features
            • Plan Spring Break!
            • Learn about your Finances

Double-swiping blues

The Worst Case Scenario

Ruchi Asher

Some days, I imagine what it would be like to be a freshman again: complaining about roommates and large lecture classes, blowing meal swipes like candy, wasting all my CaseCash on 300-calorie Starbucks - it's no wonder the freshman 15 hit hard. Now that I am a senior and emancipated from meal plans, buying my own groceries, and not having to worry about wasting meal swipes or making that mad dash to Leutner before it closes, I sometimes find myself filled with nostalgia as I gaze, misty-eyed, at the boarded up windows of Leutner, wistfully remembering what it was like to be in one of those throngs of freshmen excitedly swiping in, hoping for some sort of delicious, pre-cooked meal - and most likely to be disappointed, eating grilled cheese and soup for the fourth day in a row.

Luckily, my remaining meal plan-laden friends have always been generous enough to sacrifice their spare meal swipes, donating to the cause of feeding a hungry senior strapped for cash. This year, I even enjoyed my Leutner and Fribley dinner dates, reminiscing about how delicious Leutner chocolate chip cookies used to be, and audibly singing the praises of Fribley stir-fry, even as I bemoaned that deliciously aromatic dining hall smell. It was beautiful; I don't know why it happened, but the incredibly authoritarian rules about double-swiping (or triple or quadruple swiping) had been magically lifted by some guardian food fairy.

Tragedy has struck Case Western Reserve University, however, and as of last week, messages went out stating that Bon Appetit employees were no longer allowed to give in to the desperate pleas of hungry students. Double-swiping is in the process of being banned on campus, and Bon Appetit was forced to send out an apology letter to students, asking forgiveness for the inconvenience caused to students by allowing double-swiping to perpetuate on this campus.

Seriously? I certainly see no inconvenience caused by double-swiping - as a freshman, I would have happily fed all the hungry upperclassmen within earshot rather than ending a week with 12 leftover meal swipes. It was like an act of charity. Isn't the university supposed to encourage its students to be generous and perform community service? Isn't feeding the hungry community service? Would double-swiping be okay if we tried swiping in persons originating from households under a certain income bracket, or if I wanted to swipe in a hungry hobo off the streets?

Or is it just because we are paying tuition and housing that the university feels like it can fleece us on meal plans as well? I mean, some freshman really do need to eat 17 meals at Leutner, Fribley, and Grab-It every week, but requiring every single freshman to purchase more meal swipes than they can physically eat is encouraging childhood obesity. First lady Michelle Obama is trying to fight childhood obesity. Forcing each one of us to single-handedly use that many meal swipes a week is simply unpatriotic.

It's tragic, and even Bon Appetit employees realize that the double-swiping rules are incredibly silly. But with their jobs on the line, none of them will be giving in to our sad, hungry-student eyes anymore. Good thing my last Fribley stir-fry was epic, memorable, and downright delicious.

• Cleveland Institute of Art announces new president
          • Have you heard about The Confused Greenies
          • Relay For Life hoping for success as event begins today
          • Undergraduate Student Government inaugurations bring new faces, new initiatives

• For Gobies, this weekend is first step to goal
          • Howe's love of game grows
          • Smetona's workouts work out
          • Spartan Spotlight: Jon Edmunds
          • Spartans drop 13th and 14th straight to Wooster
          • Spartans go 2-2 against Wolverines, Lords
          • Spartans near best win total in school history
          • Whalen auditions for Browns, Mangini
          • When fans care

• City boasts unusual outdoor spaces for observing Cleveland in springtime
          • Editorial: Although meal plan policy remains unchanged, policy seems fundamentally flawed
          • Letters to the editor: Greek Life opportunities
          • Political leaders are ill-equipped to decide when wars are "just"
          • Sticks and stones: bullying still hurts, but can be stopped with just one word
          • What's your favorite flower?

• August: Osage County astonishes audiences
          • International Conference on Narrative successful and engaging
          • Just a Perfect Day
          • Pokémon returns to Nintendo DS with best games in years
          • Rompers: this season's divisive trend
          • Safety First
          • Take a picture, It'll Last Longer: CIA student photo exhibition
          • Tremont: The A-list of Cleveland's bars