• New Features
            • Plan Spring Break!
            • Learn about your Finances

New performing arts center announced

Maltz Center to become new home of the theater, dance, and music departments at CWRU

Meredith Collier

Mayor Frank Jackson, president Barbara Snyder, Tamar and Milton Maltz, and Rabbi Richard Block of The Temple-Tifereth Israel unveil the new name of CWRU's performing arts center.
          Administrators of Case Western and Temple-Tifereth Israel have partnered with Milton and Tamar Maltz to renovate the Temple into a state-of-the-art performing arts center for CWRU students. The Maltzs have donated $12 million to begin the fund for the $25.6 million renovation.
          One of Case Western Reserve University's biggest dreams has come true: a performing arts center will soon be coming to campus. Although kept under wraps by university administrators for several weeks, the renovation of the Temple-Tifereth Israel into the Milton and Tamar Maltz Center for Performing Arts was announced last Friday at a large press conference, featuring performances from CWRU music ensembles, as well as remarks made by president Barbara Snyder and Mayor Frank Jackson.

"Decades ago, a religious community had a dream of an historic structure that would hold the emotions and aspirations of generations of congregants. This temple did that and so much more," remarked Snyder. "Now we gather to witness the beginning of a new era of this historic space as it becomes the proud home of Case Western Reserve University's academic programs in dance, theatre, and music."

Snyder pledged that CWRU would maintain the historic integrity of the original structure - a stunning, gold-domed building, replete with ornate stained glass and seating for over 1,900 within the main sanctuary - and that the Temple would remain available for usage by Cleveland's Jewish community during the Jewish High Holy Days. The Temple boasts over 100,000 square-feet of space, and once renovations are complete, the facility will contain a large stage area along with rehearsal spaces and classrooms as well as faculty offices.

This project would not be possible, Snyder pointed out, without the generosity and assistance of Milton and Tamar Maltz, who donated $12 million through the Maltz Family Foundation as a lead challenge donation for the performing arts center. For their generosity, the performing arts center shall retain their namesake.

"Milton and Tamar Maltz, and their family, fully recognize the significance of this iconic place. They appreciate its immense potential as a university performing arts center. They understand the synergies available and they value the temple's place as a true, historic landmark," said Snyder. "In short, you could not find two people more passionate about this partnership."

Although Milton and Tamar Maltz were announcing their donation of $12 million, when they addressed the crowd following a standing ovation, they were relaxed and good-natured.

"I'm just privileged and delighted to support this wonderful idea and also the fact that we're in a building that is actually older than I am," laughed Tamar Maltz.

"That's my girl!" replied Milton Maltz.

"It's going to be just a gorgeous modern facility, without sacrificing the heritage and the beauty of the structure itself," continued Milton Maltz.

He emphasized how important it was for the Jewish community to maintain a presence in downtown Cleveland. "We're doing something positive for Cleveland," he remarked. "We're a community of many communities…and the Jewish community can still be a part of the Cleveland marketplace."

Maltz spoke about how unique University Circle was when compared to other cities in the United States. He described how surprised colleagues were when they discovered the variety of cultural and learning institutions Cleveland had to offer. He hoped that the opening of the Milton and Tamar Maltz Center for Performing Arts will help to further Cleveland's presence within the arts. "Let's not make it a secret," he challenged Friday's audience. "Let's tell Forbes magazine where to go."

• 2010 USG executive board candidates speak
          • Minh for the win? Current vice president of student life Minh-Tri Nguyen seeks USG presidency
          • New performing arts center announced
          • Representative Barbara Lee addresses concerns over new health care bill
          • SEC proposes cutting 20 percent of Greek life funds
          • Undergraduate Student Government polls open through tonight
          • Weberian politics: Current vice president of finance Max Weber campaigns for the USG presidency

• CWRU head coaches conference's lowest paid
          • Distance does well at Wake Forest
          • Future is promising for new boathouse
          • Mather Park close to completion
          • Men's tennis squeaks by Walsh, pound John Carroll
          • Spartan Spotlight: Steve Bills
          • Spartans get swept
          • Spartans knock off No. 2-ranked Heidelberg
          • Z's return

• Crossword solution
          • Sudoku Easy Solution
          • Sudoku Evil Solution

• Editorial: Maltz Center a great gift, with some questions remaining
          • Foreign sentiments: an American's reception abroad
          • Formality: dead and gone
          • Letters to the Editor: firearms and Greek funding
          • State of health care not worthy of "crisis" label
          • What is your favorite Greek Week event?

• An in-depth look: Will You Marry Us?
          • Argument against complaints
          • Case Animal Rights and Ethics Society sees green at vegan dinner
          • CIA Student Exhibition displays student works with minimalist atmosphere
          • Lifehouse to open for Daughtry at Wolstein Center; bassist speaks
          • Notes from the flowers: florals for spring
          • Over 300 films from over 60 countries in one city: The 34th annual Cleveland International Film Festival
          • Ryan Keytack wins Dancing with the CWRU Stars
          • Sex and dating: A capacity for change