• New Features
            • Plan Spring Break!
            • Learn about your Finances

2010 USG executive board candidates speak

Candidate profiles

Meredith Collier & Sabrina Herman

Vice president of finance

Colin Downey

What makes you qualified to be the VP of finance?

I have been a member of the finance committee for the last two years and have acquired extensive knowledge of the policies and procedures governing the allocation of funds. I have also been a treasurer for a student group for one year.

How do you view the role of the VP of finance within USG? Around campus?

I view the VP of finance's role on campus as an advocate for student organizations. Just as importantly, VP of finance advocates with CWRU's administration and the SEC to get student organizations what they need.

Do you have any previous USG experience?

I have been with USG for three years, the first year I was an at-large-representative and for the past two years I have been an engineering representative. This year I took on the role of caucus speaker… Many of the practices and policies that I put in place as caucus speaker will be placed by the executive committee on a best practices document for caucuses.

What has been your most rewarding USG experience so far?

My favorite experience with USG was during mass funding one year ago and [we] were getting burned out. We got food from the Jolly Scholar, listened to music from YouTube, and got back to work with a fresh injection of enthusiasm. It was one of those times where you're surrounded by friends, working together to accomplish something great, and I'll remember it forever.

Dennis Matthews

What makes me personally qualified for the position of vice president of finance, is that perhaps, I am a finance person most naturally than I am anything else…I had no intention of engaging in finance at all. However, as time passed I learned a few important things: First off…I wasn't a biomedical engineer, and secondly that I had a deep passion for economics.

How do you view the role of VP of finance within USG? Around campus?

I think the role of vice president of finance, is both a set of clear cut expectations, and a forum for creativity all in one post…To understand the actual needs of organizations, and to not merely subject them to a balance sheet item line, or a spreadsheet.

Do you have previous USG experience?

I do have prior USG experience in being on the USG finance committee for 1.5 years (the half year being the year I was not an elected member, but only an at-large member of USG).

What has been your most rewarding
          experience in USG?

I think my most rewarding USG experience might just be the mass funding experience I've had….Forms galore dotted the office floor, and the smell of Qdoba was rampant as that was our lunch, but the experience provided for me an immersion into student groups and looking at programming as a whole.

Jesal Shah

What makes you qualified to be the VP of Finance?

The treasurer position has made me very qualified to be the vice president of finance because I have gotten to work closely with the current VP of finance….Two semester's worth of mass funding has taught me patience.

The main role of the VP of finance within USG is to maintain the internal budget for USG events and his or her main role around campus is to manage student organizations and make their jobs easier…One goal of the VP of finance is to serve as a strong voice for students to the administration to make a difference on campus.

Do you have previous USG experience?
          I have been on USG for two years since I was a freshman…This year, as treasurer, I have learned so much more than a normal representative. I update and maintain the budgets of all student groups, including USG's.

What has been your most rewarding USG experience?

My most favorite and rewarding USG experience is right after I explain a budget issue or even a random USG question to a student. When I see their smile and hear their thanks, I feel satisfaction. I feel proud that I could help a student and that I have made a difference whether large or small.
          Back To The Top

Vice president of public relations

Jared Bell

What makes you qualified to be the VP of public relations?

I feel that I am highly qualified to be the VP of public relations mainly due to my experience. This year during my time on USG, I was a part of the public relations committee…[and] have been working closely with the current VP of public relations, Jacklynn Sanford. It is my opinion that I have the most experience, and am therefore the most qualified for this position.

How do you view the role of VP of public relations within USG? Around campus?

The Public Relations committee has a large list of responsibilities within USG, such as PR-ing for all caucus events, distributing information from the university, being liaisons between committees and caucus etc. Furthermore, I feel that the VP should be able to field questions from any student, and be a liaison for the students to the university.
          I have been an engineering representative all year, as well as a member of the public relations committee. The engineering caucus has been working very hard this year at getting feedback from the student body, as well as drafting legislature and meeting with faculty.

My most rewarding experience in USG is simply meeting with the faculty. The engineering caucus met with Dean Tien…When USG has the opportunity to discuss with faculty members what students want, and then see those changes being made, is personally the most rewarding experience.

Candidate Neil O'Brien was unavailable for comment

Wenjun (Pocky) Zhang

I understand what is the position of VP of public relations, such as what I should do and what my responsibilities are. I think being the VP of PR, I can improve the relationships between the student body and USG, and also I can do marketing to help USG officers and other clubs to advertise their activities

I think it is kind of a link. The main position of VP of PR is given the responsibility of serving as the chief marketing and morale officers of the USG. In my view, if the VP/Public Relations can make a successful team work to do very nice marketing for [an] event, it can bring more students to the event. I think the most important things is to let students know there is a group of USG students help them to make their life on the campus more diverse and let them love Case more.

Do you have any previous experience in USG?

I was the rep. of Tyler at my first year at Case,and I was involved in the finance committee. This year, I am a rep. of weatherhead and I am currently involved in the PR committee. I am the speaker of Weatherhead caucus, and I am a member of USG Diversity, which is a culture-diverse group of USG.

I love PR…I did table tents, flyers, Facebook events and groups, and I told every friend around me about [Pizzalympics]. When I saw a big amount of students went to the Pizzalympics…I was very happy and realized that I would continue doing [PR].
          Back To The Top

Vice president of information technology

Candidate Steven Lee was unavailable for comment

Kelly Maloney

What makes you qualified to be the VP of Information Technology?

For almost two years now, I've been involved in campus IT services, first as a student technician at PerceptIS and now at ITS. I know that students want to have better notifications with regards to planned network outages and the causes of unplanned interruptions of network service and that many students are interested in the reinstatement of the top bandwidth users list so that they can know if they are consuming a fair portion of campus resources. I feel that this experience gives me a unique insight into the technology situation on campus.

How do you view the role of the VP of information technology within USG? Around campus?

Within USG, the VP of information technology serves to manage technology-related issues such as ensuring the continued functioning of the USG office computers and updating the USG website. I also think that, with the rollout of CollegiateLink, the VP of IT position will be heavily involved with making this tool an effective means of managing student organizations on campus… As VP of IT, I would gather student opinions about technology-related issues, and convey these to the relevant personnel. I would strive to be an approachable individual that students could come to with any sorts of technology-related issues, comments, or suggestions that they might have.

I do not have any previous USG experience.

Sam Roberts

What makes you qualified to be the VP of information technology?

I really appreciate the information technology that we have on this campus. All the technology and resources we have available on campus [are] very impressive and are an important part of not only our education but our daily lives on campus. I think the most important part of being VP of IT is to not just recognize this, but to see that there are still problems that come up, as we all know from the issues with the internet over the past months.

How do you view the role of VP of information technology within USG? Around campus?

The position within USG is to worry about things like running the USG website, which I have experience with…. Also, if USG wanted to try something new in terms of technology in the way it ran business, the VP of IT would help get that started. While this aspect is certainly important, the larger role is worrying about IT issues outside of USG. The VP of IT represents the undergraduate student population in regards to IT problems…Bringing problems from the students to the school, and information from the school to the students. Basically, keeping both sides well-informed about the other so problems get solved or are avoided in the first place.

This would be my first position on USG. I previously served as president of Carlton Road Community Council in RHA, which included attending RHA General Body meetings. While obviously not USG, it is still a campus wide body so the experience will no doubt help me serve as a better VP of IT.

Back To The Top

Vice president of student life

Divya Aggarwal

What makes you qualified to be the VP of Student Life?

I believe I am qualified for this position because I truly enjoy reaching out and meeting other students and finding out what they love about Case and what they would like to see change on campus. I have a year of USG executive board experience and am currently serving as the USG parliamentarian.

How do you view the role of VP of student life within USG? Around campus?

For both within USG and around campus, I view the role of the VP of Student Life to be a facilitator of change and problem solving on a variety of levels (for example, small-scale issues [such as] getting an elevator fixed in a residential building and large-scale issues [like] replacing Pura Vida in Thwing Center with a different food option). I would seek to empower USG representatives and other students to work on initiatives that they are passionate about as well. 

Do you have previous USG experience?

I have two years of USG experience behind me. In my freshman year, I served as a first-year representative of Raymond House to USG.  At that time, I was also a contributing member of the student life committee, working on issues related to financial aid and the prospective student/campus center among other issues. This year, I served on the USG executive board as the parliamentarian, reviewing and posting legislation, enforcing the USG constitution and bylaws, chairing the USG judicial board, and being involved in USG executive affairs.

What I have found to be most rewarding about USG is knowing that this organization has such a strong impact on campus, its students, administrators.

Chris Linderwell

Currently, I am a football player, the VP of Finance for IFC, a SMARRT leader, a member of the Student Life Committee and the Student Turning Point Society, and a brother of Phi Delta Theta. Being involved in many facets of the university has given me invaluable experience dealing with problems, working with different kinds of people, and making positive changes."
          How do you view the role of the VP of student life within USG? Around campus?
          I view the role of the VP of student life as someone who represents the students on campus along with their concerns and issues regarding the campus….One of my goals as VP of student life is to reconnect more students with USG. I feel that many people have input on the campus and can provide comments and concerns about it, but few know who to talk to.

Do you have previous USG experience?

I have served on the student life committee of USG since the fall of 2009. This semester I was put in charge of the Spirit Wall initiative to get a camera installed…. The goal is to have the camera feed live to the student affairs website and into the interactive camera map for students to use to monitor and observe the wall and for security purposes.

My most rewarding experience thus far is working on the Spirit Wall camera initiative. The initiative has been on the committee's to-do list for several semesters and I think it is very cool how quickly I have been able to get things done with the initiative.

Alli Prelosky

I have been an active member of the committee for the past two years and I'm also serving on the campus master plan committee. Throughout my time on the committee and as a representative, I've learned to truly listen to the student body.  My biggest qualification is that I'm involved as a student and I hear things first hand and seek out areas that can be improved.

I think it's very important for the VP of student life to have an active presence and be engaged with the campus.  USG's job is to represent the student's concerns as fairly and quickly as possible to the administration, and the VP of student life needs to seek student input.

Do you have previous USG experience?

I have served as an elected representative for two years, first for the School of Engineering and then for the College of Arts and Sciences.  I served as the speaker of the engineering caucus during my time as a representative for the school.  I have been an active member of the student life committee for the entirety of my two years on USG.

My most rewarding experience with USG thus far, although it may sound counterintuitive, was losing my election for the VP of Student Life last year….It was so rewarding because I had the opportunity to again serve as a representative and on the student life committee.  I have taken this last year to become increasingly familiar with the position, increasingly connected to campus, and increasingly excited to run again.
          Back To The Top

Parliamentarian

Douglas Brubaker

What makes you qualified to be parliamentarian?

This year alone I have interfaced with the parliamentarian more than most representatives do in their USG careers…I believe that my experience working with the parliamentarian and the leadership roles I took on in the process sufficiently qualify me for the position.

How do you view the role of parliamentarian in USG? Around campus?

The parliamentarian is in the unique position where they are able to keep the members of USG accountable to the student body. If a representative is not showing up to meetings or if the meetings are unproductive… then it is the dual responsibility of the assembly speaker and the parliamentarian to step in.

Do you have previous USG experience?

This past year I served as the first-year representative for Smith House, as a member of the student life committee, and as one of two students on the faculty senate subcommittee for curriculum in the College of Arts and Sciences.

I attended one lighting tour in the fall and one right after winter break. The committee identified a number of broken emergency phones, dark spots, and areas that we thought needed a blue light phone implemented. The day I saw the new blue boxes…and the maintenance crews replacing broken bulbs was my proudest moment.
          Back To The Top

Vice president of academic affairs

Jared Hamilton

What makes you qualified to be the VP of academic affairs?

I believe that I know the issues that matter most to the students. I am dedicated to improving the education of students at Case and…I have shown that I enjoy my time on USG by serving on two committees at the same time.

How do you view the role of VP of academic affairs in USG? Around campus?

The vice president of academic affairs represents all students on the Faculty Senate. My goal is to have a relationship between faculty and students that addresses needs of student education….I will listen to students' needs and desires on all academic issues.

Do you have previous USG experience?
          As a representative of The College of Arts and Sciences, I served on the academic affairs and student life committees during this school year. I wrote one resolution for academic affairs and two for student life.

My most rewarding USG experience thus far has been the passing of the course evaluation resolution...I felt a need to address the problem of asymmetric information with students.

Back To The Top

• 2010 USG executive board candidates speak
          • Minh for the win? Current vice president of student life Minh-Tri Nguyen seeks USG presidency
          • New performing arts center announced
          • Representative Barbara Lee addresses concerns over new health care bill
          • SEC proposes cutting 20 percent of Greek life funds
          • Undergraduate Student Government polls open through tonight
          • Weberian politics: Current vice president of finance Max Weber campaigns for the USG presidency

• CWRU head coaches conference's lowest paid
          • Distance does well at Wake Forest
          • Future is promising for new boathouse
          • Mather Park close to completion
          • Men's tennis squeaks by Walsh, pound John Carroll
          • Spartan Spotlight: Steve Bills
          • Spartans get swept
          • Spartans knock off No. 2-ranked Heidelberg
          • Z's return

• Crossword solution
          • Sudoku Easy Solution
          • Sudoku Evil Solution

• Editorial: Maltz Center a great gift, with some questions remaining
          • Foreign sentiments: an American's reception abroad
          • Formality: dead and gone
          • Letters to the Editor: firearms and Greek funding
          • State of health care not worthy of "crisis" label
          • What is your favorite Greek Week event?

• An in-depth look: Will You Marry Us?
          • Argument against complaints
          • Case Animal Rights and Ethics Society sees green at vegan dinner
          • CIA Student Exhibition displays student works with minimalist atmosphere
          • Lifehouse to open for Daughtry at Wolstein Center; bassist speaks
          • Notes from the flowers: florals for spring
          • Over 300 films from over 60 countries in one city: The 34th annual Cleveland International Film Festival
          • Ryan Keytack wins Dancing with the CWRU Stars
          • Sex and dating: A capacity for change