• New Features
            • Plan Spring Break!
            • Learn about your Finances

Letters to the Editor: Greek funding and LGBT community

Greek funding shouldn't come from SAF

In response to the article "SEC considering proposals concerning Greek funding" (March 5), I am firmly in favor of Greek life receiving no money whatsoever from the student activities fee. There are two reasons why this should be the case. First, as was stated in the article, many Greek activities simply "are not open to all students" and thus, by definition, should not receive funding from the SAF. Second, it is alarming to note in the first place, that Greek life receives $37,000 from the SAF (a fund that the entire student body, 70 percent of which is not Greek, pays into equally) and in the second place, that $6000 of this lot funds Greek Week. Why is this alarming? I'm glad you asked.
          I'm all for some spirited competition between different groups of people on campus. Up with which I will not put, however, is having to listen to Greeks moan and complain for nearly a month (the preparation for Greek Week is, apparently, just as taxing and stressing as the week itself) about all of their Greek Week responsibilities - and more often than not, citing these responsibilities as excuses for not attending meetings and events for other student organizations of which they are members - all while I'm paying for it.
          By all means, let us admit that these little communities of brothers and sisters do good things even if we object to the manner in which they do them. Yes, they do charity. Yes, they do community service. Yes, they seem to take care of and support one another quite nicely. But for all these things and more, they can "band together" and foot the bill.
          The article stated that to cover the SAF funding that would be lost if the Greeks are denied access to the SAF, it would require an estimated hike in dues of $33 per person. Let me suggest that the following deal be proffered to Greeks: they can have the $6000, but in return, they must promise not to complain nor abandon any of their other student organization responsibilities because of Greek Week. If they cannot stipulate, then let's give them yet one more thing to complain about.

Mark Wrobleski, Undergraduate student

LGBT center will separate students

As a first-year student who frequents the Thwing Center, I was happy to notice the renovations being doing to the lounge near the Thwing atrium. My three brothers, who are alums of Case, have told me stories about how they passed time between classes there, working on homework or catching a quick nap before heading to their next class. However, I was shocked to learn from The Observer and the Case Daily that that area will be transformed into a LGBT center, fully equipped with offices, kitchenette, and lounge area for lesbian and gay students and faculty. As a minority student, I began to wonder where the lounge for my minority group was located, and realized that I had never heard of one.
          Why was this group, which considers themselves a minority, given the special consideration to have their own support center in the heart of the Case campus? I quickly became irritated and disgusted at the hypocrisy and moral wrongness of the situation. I felt that my minority was being ignored. Also as a Christian, I would find it hard to be in a place where homosexuality or any moral degradation is encouraged and supported. However, I recognize that such lifestyles are not for me to decide for someone else. I also realize that because of their lifestyle, they will receive criticism and added stress and need a place for their meetings. However, all minorities at Case experience these problems. In all my classes at Case there is only one other minority like me. At times, minorities will feel alone and singled out, which is why, like the LGBT community, we have our own support groups and meetings. However, my minority is grouped in the Office of Multicultural Affairs along with other minorities. We have no 'Center' where we can have meetings, hang out or have fun. Instead, like everyone else, we are pushed to other sites where we interact with other students, or find our own places to hang out and meet. Why is the LGBT community the exception? Instead of exclusively having the new lounge area reserved for LGBT students and faculty, why not use this area for all minorities' students and their groups. This way it would not seem like one minority is being singled out while the others ignored. This would create a sense on 'inclusiveness' and not separate the LGBT community from Case and other minorities. I would feel much more comfortable in Thwing Center and at Case knowing that I am included.

Marlon Rucker, Undergraduate student

Viewing Comments 1 - 3 of 5

• Read all 5 comments

Thomas Paine

posted 3/19/10 @ 4:22 PM EST

First, let me say that I am not an egotistical bigot, but I was delighted to see Mr. Rucker's Letter to the Editor in the 3/19/2010 CWRU Observer expressing his disgust over the construction of the LGBT Center in Thwing. (Continued…)

Details   Reply to this comment

Rebecca Gans

posted 3/20/10 @ 12:27 AM EST

Although I believe the Office of Multicultural Affairs does have a lounge, if there is not a satisfactory meeting spot or safe area for any group, I think one ought to be created. (Continued…)

Details   Reply to this comment

White Student

posted 3/20/10 @ 8:51 PM EST

As a white student, I feel like I am not being included. There is no office in multiculutral affair for students like me, or in Thwing. Why are minorities the only people that receive special treatment from the administration and outside donors? Why does a lifestyle choice or race make you more special than other students? And why should the school fund "special" offices for "special" students? Does a person being black mean they are more important because they are more different than a white student? All these offices and diversity forums are just tearing people apart. (Continued…)

(2 replies)   Details   Reply to this comment

Post a Comment

• 2010 USG executive board candidates speak
          • Minh for the win? Current vice president of student life Minh-Tri Nguyen seeks USG presidency
          • New performing arts center announced
          • Representative Barbara Lee addresses concerns over new health care bill
          • SEC proposes cutting 20 percent of Greek life funds
          • Undergraduate Student Government polls open through tonight
          • Weberian politics: Current vice president of finance Max Weber campaigns for the USG presidency

• CWRU head coaches conference's lowest paid
          • Distance does well at Wake Forest
          • Future is promising for new boathouse
          • Mather Park close to completion
          • Men's tennis squeaks by Walsh, pound John Carroll
          • Spartan Spotlight: Steve Bills
          • Spartans get swept
          • Spartans knock off No. 2-ranked Heidelberg
          • Z's return

• Crossword solution
          • Sudoku Easy Solution
          • Sudoku Evil Solution

• Editorial: Maltz Center a great gift, with some questions remaining
          • Foreign sentiments: an American's reception abroad
          • Formality: dead and gone
          • Letters to the Editor: firearms and Greek funding
          • State of health care not worthy of "crisis" label
          • What is your favorite Greek Week event?

• An in-depth look: Will You Marry Us?
          • Argument against complaints
          • Case Animal Rights and Ethics Society sees green at vegan dinner
          • CIA Student Exhibition displays student works with minimalist atmosphere
          • Lifehouse to open for Daughtry at Wolstein Center; bassist speaks
          • Notes from the flowers: florals for spring
          • Over 300 films from over 60 countries in one city: The 34th annual Cleveland International Film Festival
          • Ryan Keytack wins Dancing with the CWRU Stars
          • Sex and dating: A capacity for change