Four CWRU alumni launch social networking website for musicians

Reem Azem

• Page 1 of 2 next >
John Knific, a 2009 CWRU alumnus is currently the CEO of the recently-launched music-based social networking website, CitizenGroove.
It was the fall of 2006 when an idea was born in Case Western Reserve University's Clarke Tower. Former CWRU music students John Knific and Marc Plotkin were sophomores with a plan, and with persistence and some help from a few of their peers, they soon became entrepreneurs. What if there was a site that could organize a musician or band's output, including recordings, general logistics, and information? There have been sites that cater to musicians in such a way, such as Myspace and PureVolume, but none that could organize such information so compactly, or to quote the site, create a "digital portfolio."

While Knific and Plotkin were aware that they had an idea worth pursuing, they knew that in order to implement and run a real business, they would need a team. Every business needs someone to work out the technological aspects as well as someone to handle the money. Once Knific and Plotkin had found their team in computer scientist Eric Neuman and finance major Kyle Napierkowski, also CWRU alums, they were able to put their plan in motion. After much programming and efforts to make their idea known to the public, the team was finally able to say that their hard work paid off. They earned over $30,000 to be able to recruit new members and get their site, CitizenGroove, up and running. While the company still hopes to find development interns, they are quickly expanding their reach. This was no longer a side project, but an actual full-time job.

The original intention of the site was to cater to the needs of professional musicians in organizing their work. Knific and Plotkin stayed true to this goal, but with new opportunities came more thoughts regarding the potential of the site. Today, the Internet is the most common means of social networking. This pre-existing convenience had a logical way of being implemented into CitizenGroove. Plotkin commented, "From connecting current students to alumni for job opportunities, to accepting audition materials from prospective students, music schools can use a controlled social media network like CitizenGroove in incredibly powerful ways. MySpace and Facebook were inarguably revolutionary systems for social networking, but there has yet to be a system that organizes music and caters to the needs of musicians like CitizenGroove."
Continued...
Page 1 of 2 next >

Viewing Comments 1 - 1 of 1

Professional Writing Services

posted 10/15/10 @ 6:26 PM EST

Social Networking nowdays is getting more popular than 10 years ago...

Details   Reply to this comment

Post a Comment

• A conversation with Professor Jessica Green
    • Nation's first research-oriented wind turbine constructed near Veale
    • Thwing Study Over to provide students much-needed break this Sunday
    • Transformation on horizon for KSL
    • USG reflects upon accomplishments at last meeting of semester

• Grapplers drop match against rival John Carroll, fall to 0-2
    • Spartans encounter cold spell late in second half, go 0-2 in JCU tournament
    • Spartans place 18th at cross country NCAA championships
    • Sports Shorts
    • Women fall behind early, lose to Baldwin-Wallace

• Fun Page Solutions

• Cleveland provides refugees, volunteers opportunities with Refugee Response program
    • Editorial: Semester Grades
    • There's no 'I' in team - but there is in 'Republican'
    • What are you doing over winter break?

• A look back: best of 2010 entertainment
    • Art history department says goodbye as distinguished professor Dr. Edward Olszewski retires
    • Cleveland writer Susan Streeter Carpenter reads from counter-culture novel Riders on the Storm
    • Magic of Mr. CWRU uses talent, gusto to benefit East Cleveland
    • Our friend Kelvin
    • The art of seduction, part II
    • Two recent film releases: Harry Potter disappoints; Enter the Void intrigues