• Cross Country
    • Spartan Spotlight
    • Football
    • Worst Case Scenario

Relay for Life 2010 kicks off with recruitment fair

Ruchi Asher

Participants from last year's Relay for Life celebrate their final lap in the 18-hour fight against cancer.
Every April, when the weather finally turns warm, students from Case Western Reserve University gather around Case Field in an overnight ritual that has become tradition on this campus.  Relay for Life has become a staple of the campus community in the last two years, bringing together students, faculty, and their loved ones to fight cancer in one of the largest fundraisers on campus. While the actual event does not take place until the end of the school year, programs of this magnitude require a lot of planning, and the festivities have already begun.

Midway through November, the Relay for Life committee kicked off the long journey to April with a recruitment fair, held on Nov 13. The fair marked 147 days away from Relay and encouraged people to sign up to form teams early. Volunteers were also recruited to serve on subcommittees and help with the planning process. Katie Coakley, food and hospitality chair, organized donations for the recruitment event, and campus members who stopped by Thwing Atrium were treated to lunch and snacks from Aladdin's, Quiznos, Rascal House Pizza, Qdoba, and Dave's Supermarket. All food was donated by the aforementioned organizations and helped lure people toward the sign-up table.

The recruitment event proved to be extremely successful: the end result included over 10 teams, 43 participants, and $200 dollars in donations. Undergraduate co-chair Sarah Franjoine was thrilled with the turnout. "I have to recognize the work of the executive committee," she explained. "Everyone came out to recruit people to join their subcommittees; it was great!" Since the Nov. 13, donations have only increased, and currently stand at $680 with 52 participants. With more than four months remaining, Relay is already well on its way.

Last year, Relay for Life raised approximately $88,000 towards alleviating cancer. Of course, the most obvious destination for these funds is research to find a cure. However, donations are distributed among a variety of causes to help those affected, from current patients to survivors and family members. Relay also raises money to support advocacy efforts for patients, including anti-smoking laws and other initiatives to make the community more aware of cancer-prevention efforts.

Moreover, much of the funding goes toward a host of programs offered by the American Cancer Society. For example, Hope Lodges provide cancer patients and family members with free lodging and care when treatment facilities are far away. Patient Navigator programs offer answers and support for patients who have recently discovered they have cancer, and Road to Recovery provides patients with transport to treatment facilities when they are unable to do so themselves. The American Cancer Society also provides gender-specific programs, such as Look Good Feel Better, which offers free wigs and post-treatment cosmetic assistance to women, and Man to Man, which imparts advice and assistance about how prostate cancer affects men and their families.

While recruitment efforts have proved to be impressive so far, the journey is just beginning. Next semester, Relay for Life will host its official kick-off event on February 5, as well as Power of Purple day to raise awareness. Franjoine is enthusiastic about this year's Relay already, explaining that individual teams also host their own fundraising events. Although their November recruitment events have already drawn many participants, Franjoine explains, "I know that there are tons of people who are interested in Relay who we have not reached yet. I hope to reach out to them soon in one way or another, be it email, Facebook, or face to face!"

Cross Country

• Women finish 15th in nation; Simpson has best finish in university history

• A conversation with Christina Mastrangelo
  • CWRU students among thousands at SOA protest
  • CWRU's Great Lakes Energy Institute honored as "Center of Excellence"
  • Relay for Life 2010 kicks off with recruitment fair
  • Smart holiday spending tips
  • USG Minutes

Spartan Spotlight

• Spartan Spotlight: Reid Anderson

Sex and Dating

• Are you tired?

• All-American, UAA honorees back
  • Building starts on Mather Park
  • Dukes, Criss keep grapplers strong in the middle
  • For Spartans, Allegheny is splitsville
  • Revolving door is no good for the Browns
  • So far, it's been so good for women's basketball

Football

• Early Ending: Spartans eliminated from playoffs by Trine University

• Combo Scramble Solution
  • Crossword Solution
  • Sudoku Solutions

Worst Case Scenario

• Reading days and salad days

• Column on smoking misinformed
  • Copenhagen summit may not be effective
  • Divisive politics dilute meaningful discourse
  • Editorial: Semester grades
  • Junior year abroad - wait, a whole year?
  • Take some time to earn your coal
  • What are your plans for winter break?

• Director Peter Jackson discusses film adaptation of The Lovely Bones
  • M.U.S.I.C. assembles talented group of musicians for 24-hour recital
  • Surviving the home stretch
  • The Observer's choices for the best books of 2009
  • The Observer's choices for the best films of 2009
  • The Observer's choices for the best music of 2009
  • The Observer's choices for the best video games of 2009
  • The Spectrum Drag Ball
  • tUnE-yArDs' debut record merges folk music with noise