• Cross Country
    • Football
    • Soccer
/* To add later when they become necessary:
  • */

Green is the new black: eco-friendly fashion

Case Runway

Emily Mikhail

Going green from a fashionable perspective can be done in a multitude of ways. Shoppers can purchase jewelry made from natural items or eco-friendly denim jeans, or simply thrift shop.
The unnaturally warm weather of late has served as a reminder that global warming isn't just a concern, it's an urgent matter that is leading more and more people to the "green movement." What started with organic produce has extended to everything we put inside our bodies and even on our bodies. There's a new trend in fashion, and it's all about going green. More and more designers are creating gorgeous fashion with the environment in mind.

This season, designers like London-based Elena Garcia, Mark Liu, and Miami native Meadow Compton style with eco textiles like hemp, bamboo, and organic cotton to construct exquisite and dramatic pieces without hurting the environment. Designers are beginning to follow this trend by using non-toxic fabrics and dyes that are produced without the use of pesticides. Consumers can be sure they are getting eco-friendly duds just by checking for the green button and tag that is distinctive of these organic pieces.

Can't afford these high-end designer brands? A lot of local stores carry organic fabrics as well. American Apparel has great organic T-shirts, hooded sweatshirts, and even underwear. I love their organic baby rib cross-back summer dress, because it's really simple and versatile. Try wearing it with a cute tie belt, cropped blazer, and some opaque tights for a fashionable fall look. Every fashionista should try to incorporate something organic into her closet. An easy foray into this evolution is investing in a pair of organic denim jeans. Try pairing a skinny style with an organic cotton V-neck T-shirt for a down-to-earth look.

In addition to America Apparel, Victoria's Secret has begun introducing beauty products with organic ingredients, such as mint, and offering camisoles, pajamas, and panties made from organic cotton. Target and H&M are other great stores that are also joining the green movement. Just last year, H&M used 1500 tons of organic cotton for its spring line and this year hopes to increase that amount by 50 percent. In the past, eco-friendly clothes were hard to find, but this season, green is everywhere, so there's no excuse not to make a difference.

The biggest complaint about eco-fashion is that it's too pricey for the everyday shopper. By now, I am sure you know that I am an avid supporter of the frugalista way of life, and going green is no exception. You can support the environment without sacrificing your month's rent or your fashion sense. With a few easy tips you can look great while hopefully keeping California from drifting off into the ocean.

Vintage is the ultimate in Earth-friendly clothes and accessories. Vintage clothing is great because it can be found locally and is unique and affordable. The clothes are used, so no new fabrics, sewing, or distribution, which minimizes energy costs. Beside roving the racks of Goodwill or Salvation Army to find great buys, consignment boutiques and vintage stores are havens for barely worn and beautifully timeless pieces. Some great places to check out in Cleveland are Flower Child and A Vintage Faire.

Ironically, new green fashion magazines are hitting the stands and the web. Good magazines to browse if you are interested in learning more about eco-fashion are Coco Eco and Boho Magazine. The magazines feature glam green fashion shoots, info on eco-friendly beauty products, and interviews with environmentalists to really get you going green. Even celebrities like Brad Pitt and Adrian Grenier have been supporting the movement. When asked about the growing connection between fashion and the environment, Grenier told the Daily Green, "We only have so many limbs, but there are so many different things creative designers can do with fashion. And going green is a great way to keep that fresh and exciting," said Grenier. Got the green fever yet? With all of the amazing green designs it's hard not to hop on this eco-train.

• Class inspires students to start CSEC
  • CWRU's Eco-Party
  • Eyewitness: Editor-in-chief for a day
  • Have you heard about Grupo de Capoeira?
  • Spectrum's sixth annual Drag Ball takes place Saturday
  • The college student's guide to credit cards - Part 3
  • USG creates transparency committee to improve communication

• Colts and Saints are NFL's teams to beat
  • Five thoughts on the '09 season
  • Football's success is built on this senior class
  • Men win Veale Classic
  • Spartan Spotlight: Erin Hollinger
  • Spartans cap perfect 10-0 regular season
  • Spartans get first-ever win against B-W
  • Women's basketball drops lidlifter

• Combo Scramble Solution
  • Crossword Solution
  • Sudoku Solutions

• Discriminating against smokers again
  • Editorial: CWRU athletics' accomplishments praiseworthy
  • It takes two to have unsafe sex
  • Nothing much humane about humanity
  • SEC referendum deserves impartial consideration
  • The gap year: volunteering
  • Where is your favorite campus spot to chill, nap or relax?

• American Music Masters Series wraps up week with Janis Joplin tribute
  • CIM graduate returns to Cleveland with jazz, cabaret aspirations
  • Delta Gamma swims for sight
  • Green is the new black: eco-friendly fashion
  • Hitting the spot: Atlas Sound
  • Holiday season with a cranberry craze
  • Latest installment in popular Call of Duty series improves on already high quality franchise
  • Sigma Psi hosts Mr. CWRU competition to benefit local communities
  • Starving Student: simple grub

Cross Country

• Women finish third in region, qualify for nationals

Football

• Bracket Breakdown
  • Football Gameday: Case vs. Trine

Sex and Dating

• Passive pregnancy prevention plan

Soccer

• Crooks UAA's Coach of the Year