• Cross Country
    • Football
    • Soccer
    • Spartan Spotlight
    • Worst Case Scenario

The senior's bucket list

Anna Gunther

Cleveland's West Side Market is a unique experience every student should visit once.
Many have already been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by the time they're seniors, but if by some chance you haven't, it might be time to go.
Freshman year holds so many opportunities. We come to college, bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to take on new challenges and experience new opportunities. Unfortunately for many of us, we get distracted by school work and meeting new people, then find we are unable to really try everything that we set out to do in order to get the full 'college experience.' With only a few months at CWRU left, many seniors have decided to try and squeeze in all of the things they wanted to do before graduation - a sort of "bucket list" for college.

Everyone has his or her own version of the bucket list. Maybe it's a list of places that they want to visit, or a set of campus rules they are intent on breaking. Some are too inappropriate to even mention. For seniors this list can be imposing, but for everyone else it's something to look forward to. The years really do fly by, so it's easy to forget about the cheesy touristy things to do here. However, the following activities stand a chance to be fun and memorable:

1. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I myself have never been there. I hear mixed reviews from fellow students. Many say that it's not that super, but regardless it's a Cleveland staple, and worth a visit.

2. The Great Lakes Science Center. The perfect place for the Case student, including exhibits such as the alternative energy exhibit, biomedical technology gallery, and the polymer funhouse. There's also an OMNIMAX theatre so you can see everything just a little bit bigger and better.

3. The Cleveland Botanical Gardens/Museum of Art/Museum of Natural History. Case students get free admission here (for at least one visit). For students who have yet to visit any of these three spots, shame on you. These museums and gardens are beautiful, educational, and within walking distance.

4. The bars downtown. This is really a seniors-only specific item. I went downtown last weekend for the first time, and had a really fun time. Even if bar hopping and dancing isn't your cup of tea, it shows a different side of Cleveland that is really different from what we have closer to campus.

5. Severance Hall, to see the Cleveland Orchestra and the faculty dining room. The Cleveland Orchestra is a world-renowned musical ensemble, and often, students hardly give their close proximity a second thought. We walk by the historical and beautiful Severance Hall every day to get to the quad. If you haven't already, try to make it for a concert to hear some breathtaking music.

6. The West Side Market. Besides the fact that you can purchase locally grown farm-fresh produce and specialty cheeses and meats, where else can you go on a Saturday morning and mingle with locals from all over the city? It's worth going early and spending the rest of the day walking around the west side to look at local art and grab a beer at the Great Lakes Brewery.

7. Indians/Browns/Cavaliers game. There's no better way to get in the Cleveland spirit than to support the local teams, and witness the diehard, and often depressed, fans.

8. Restaurants in Tremont. Case students spend so much time on Coventry; it's nice to go somewhere else for great food on a Friday night.

9. Happy hour at Wackadoo's - I'm sorry, the Jolly Scholar - or The Spot. All of us seniors will forever know the "Jolly Scholar" as Wackadoo's, when we were too young to drink there. Although these may not be the most exciting option for the 21 and over set, they are still both Case standbys. After a really long day full of tests and papers, there's nothing like going to the campus bar for happy hour with your friends. Besides, what can beat specials like The Spot's dollar mystery beers on Wednesday nights with live music?

• Have you heard about Case Western Undergraduate Bioethics Society?
  • Homecoming at CWRU
  • Preparing for 2009's local and state elections
  • President Barbara Snyder engages the student body in first-ever student State of the University address
  • RAD classes aim to protect students
  • Six CWRU students test positive for H1N1
  • Students celebrate sustainability at campus-wide GreenFest

• At least Anderson keeps it close
  • First round robin puts Spartans in driver's seat
  • Football Gameday: Case vs. Wooster
  • For Denison QB, first test is daunting
  • Judges bring Spartans down to earth

• Combo Scramble Solution
  • Crossword Solution
  • Maze Solution
  • Sudoku Solutions

• Drastic healthcare reform unnecessary, wasteful
  • Editorial: USG must take action, stem abundance of resignations
  • Moore's Capitalism: an undeserved bully pulpit
  • Recycling: getting to know your plastics
  • State sex education legislation provides needed overhaul
  • State your case: what do you do on a rainy day?

• Acappella for Africa successful fundraiser for Global Medical Initiative, showcases CWRU's multiude of a cappella talents
  • Baker-Nord Center to hold student-run Flip Camera Film Festival
  • Botanical Gardens, Baker-Nord Center present compelling afternoon of poetry reading and composition
  • Cleveland Museum of Art opens Paul Gauguin: Paris, 1889 exhibit
  • Eldred Theater season opens with Heidi Chronicles
  • GLTF season opens with gut-busting Edwin Drood
  • Hitting the Spot: Cody Wood
  • Kid Cudi brings introspective musical perspective to Case Western
  • Thinking about summer jobs and real-world employment can never start too early

Cross Country

• Women emerge from "mud pit" with title

Football

• Nicely catches 3 TDs in win

Sex and Dating

• The real reason to get a flu shot

Soccer

• Streak snapped: Spartans get first UAA win since '06

Spartan Spotlight

• Spartan Spotlight: Brian Evans

Worst Case Scenario

• Cold season