• Cross Country
    • Football
    • Soccer
    • Spartan Spotlight
    • Worst Case Scenario

Botanical Gardens to host end-of-season book and herb sale, poetry reading

Reem Azem

This weekend, a poetry reading and book and herb sale will be held within the distinct edifice and surrounding grounds of the Cleveland Botanical Gardens.
As much as people long to hold onto summer, the weather has been convincing them to move on. Even as residents brace for the intense Cleveland weather, they can still enjoy nature's simple summer pleasures at the Cleveland Botanical Gardens. This weekend, the Gardens will be hosting several events, including a book sale, an herb fair, and a poetry reading.

Having opened Thursday, the book sale will be held throughout the weekend during regular garden hours. The Eleanor Squire Library receives donations, [including rare first editions,] from all sorts of booksellers. Well educated in his field, librarian Gary Esmonde was sure to mention the draws of the sale. The books to be sold will not exclusively pertain to gardening, as popular fiction and bestsellers will also show up on the racks. For example, a set of Harry Potter books was donated, and those who weren't willing to pay the original full price can now purchase them at a reduced rate. Though some of the items are free, most are priced around a dollar or two. Yet, the rarer books and sets can be bought for over $4000. Though the sale is a three-day event, new books may be added each day to vary the merchandise. In addition to books, there will be many horticultural magazines, music, and artwork. Oil paintings and art prints will be available for purchase by art lovers as well as a collection of classical, jazz, and folk vinyl for record collectors.

Saturday, during the book sale, the Western Reserve Society will hold its 40th annual Herb Fair. While the Botanical Gardens owns the land, the Western Reserve Historical Society tends to the plants, including the herbs that will be available at the fair. Members of the society will be present to answer any questions regarding the herbs and their uses.

The Baker-Nord Center for the Humanities will celebrate nature's influence on the humanities with events such as Poetry in the Garden this Saturday at 2 p.m. Local and national poets will be reading selections of their works regarding nature in an ideal setting that should greatly enhance the poetry. The event will feature local poets Kazin Ali, Michael Dumanis, Mary Quade, Case's own Sarah Gridley, and Harvard University's Joanna Klink. The winners of a previously held poetry contest will be announced and will also read their selections for guests. Poetry in the Garden is a free event, but pre-registration is required and is available through the Baker-Nord Center for the Humanities website.

Admission to the book and herb sale is priced the same as admission to the gardens, $7.50 for adults, and CWRU students are able to gain free admission by obtaining a ticket from the Office of Student Affairs. For those who have never been to the Botanical Gardens, clear your schedules, and reserve a ticket because they truly are breathtaking. Taking pleasure in the exquisite grounds and art celebrated by the Botanical Gardens this weekend might just be the way to take one last breath of summer before the autumn arrives.

Viewing Comments 1 - 1 of 1

Carol Marshall

posted 10/02/09 @ 11:11 AM EST

Thanks for the great article informing people about the Garden. A couple of corrections, though - the Western Reserve Herb Society tends the plants (not the Historical Society) and the Herb Fair will be held next Saturday, October 10. (Continued…)

Details   Reply to this comment

Post a Comment

• Have you heard about Case Western Undergraduate Bioethics Society?
    • Homecoming at CWRU
    • Preparing for 2009's local and state elections
    • President Barbara Snyder engages the student body in first-ever student State of the University address
    • RAD classes aim to protect students
    • Six CWRU students test positive for H1N1
    • Students celebrate sustainability at campus-wide GreenFest

• At least Anderson keeps it close
    • First round robin puts Spartans in driver's seat
    • Football Gameday: Case vs. Wooster
    • For Denison QB, first test is daunting
    • Judges bring Spartans down to earth

• Combo Scramble Solution
    • Crossword Solution
    • Maze Solution
    • Sudoku Solutions

• Drastic healthcare reform unnecessary, wasteful
    • Editorial: USG must take action, stem abundance of resignations
    • Moore's Capitalism: an undeserved bully pulpit
    • Recycling: getting to know your plastics
    • State sex education legislation provides needed overhaul
    • State your case: what do you do on a rainy day?

• Acappella for Africa successful fundraiser for Global Medical Initiative, showcases CWRU's multiude of a cappella talents
    • Baker-Nord Center to hold student-run Flip Camera Film Festival
    • Botanical Gardens, Baker-Nord Center present compelling afternoon of poetry reading and composition
    • Cleveland Museum of Art opens Paul Gauguin: Paris, 1889 exhibit
    • Eldred Theater season opens with Heidi Chronicles
    • GLTF season opens with gut-busting Edwin Drood
    • Hitting the Spot: Cody Wood
    • Kid Cudi brings introspective musical perspective to Case Western
    • Thinking about summer jobs and real-world employment can never start too early

Cross Country

• Women emerge from "mud pit" with title

Football

• Nicely catches 3 TDs in win

Sex and Dating

• The real reason to get a flu shot

Soccer

• Streak snapped: Spartans get first UAA win since '06

Spartan Spotlight

• Spartan Spotlight: Brian Evans

Worst Case Scenario

• Cold season