• Cross Country
    • Football
    • Soccer
    • Worst Case Scenario

Shoes: strut your way to comfortable, fashion-forward style

Emily Mikhail

Those looking for a hip pair of shoes might want to try Converse, while more formal needs can look toward stylish, yet comfortable Miz Mooz pumps or Oxford flats.

It's 8 a.m. and you've hit snooze on your alarm at least twice before rolling over and realizing you have thirty minutes to get ready and get to class on time. You search through your closet for a few minutes and eventually settle on a pair of boyfriend jeans, a gray v-neck, and a printed scarf. Your eyes catch the clock ("Ten minutes before class, crap!") as you rummage through your shoe collection trying to find one pair of shoes that won't give your feet blisters on the long trek to the Case Quad. Sound familiar?

Yes, ladies, I am talking to you. It's easy to rely on those tennis shoes you've had since the tenth grade to get you through the day without bloody toes, but what if I told you that beauty doesn't always have to be painful. Come on girls; let's make those feet look fabulous without sacrificing your walking abilities!

As a fellow college student, I know you want to be comfortable when walking to class. You can also be stylish by upgrading your favorite tennis shoes to a fashionable version of this athletic look. For example, if you are going for a punk and hip look, try out a pair of Chuck Taylors. They come in a variety of colors and patterns, so you can get as funky as you like. The other great thing about Chuck's is you can really express your personal style by adding some colorful laces to a classic black pair or even by designing a custom shoe. Try wearing this style with skinny jeans to add some edge to your outfit. Twilight'star Kristen Stewart is a great person to look at for inspiration on how to wear this shoe.

If you prefer a more feminine look, try out some ballet flats. This style has the most variety and can be found at almost any department store. You can go with a basic black flat with a pointed toe for a simple and chic style or a colorful round toe for a flirty look. One of my favorite fall trends this year is the oxford lace up flat. Not only is this look fashion forward, but it's comfortable as well. The style resembles a male dress shoe and can be worn with almost anything. Try pairing them with tights and a skirt for a feminine and professional look.

The most important step to fashionable feet is dressing for the occasion. For example, you wouldn't wear tennis shoes to a job interview and pumps to the gym. For starters, every girl should have at least four pairs of shoes in her closet, including pumps, sandals, tennis shoes, and a pair that's just for fun. If you are a girl or even an experimental male, then you know the torture device that is the high-heel shoe. Personally, I can only stand around in heels for a maximum of five minutes before wanting to find the nearest chair to collapse in. Unfortunately, your job status tends to be directly proportional to your heel height. In other words, you're not just higher up in the work force, you're higher up in your shoes as well.

So until we can change the system, we will just have to settle for fooling the system. I love Miz Mooz pumps because they were created for women in the work force, placing an emphasis on comfort and simplicity. You can find them at Nordstrom in Beachwood Mall or at Nordstrom Rack in Legacy Village for discounted prices. Whether you are going to a medical school interview or a nine-to-five job, Miz Mooz has the shoe for you. Sandals tend to be more versatile and can range from dressy to casual. For example, if you want to pump up a pair of jeans on a Friday night, try adding metallic gladiator sandals for an edgy look that won't hurt your feet. On the other hand, if you are going to the beach with friends, try sticking with more neutral and opaque tones. Regardless of where you are going, it's important to think about what constitutes appropriate foot-wear. Ask yourself a few simple questions like, "How much will I be walking or standing?" and "Is this a casual or dressy event?" Just use common sense from there. Have fun with your feet and don't be afraid to try new trends.

It is one thing to talk about these amazing shoes, but it's another thing to actually find said shoes for sale. Every girl knows what it's like to walk into a mall with the perfect pair of shoes in mind and to come back empty handed because they were either too expensive or non-existent.

Well, I have good news, ladies: finding affordable and attainable shoes has never been easier thanks to Zappos. This online shoe haven carries almost any style and brand you can imagine. Just go to www.zappos.com, click on the "shoes" link and get ready to browse your brains out. The great thing about this site is you can specify what you are looking for and narrow down your options from there. Other places that carry hundreds of affordable and fashionable shoes include Target, Payless, and DSW Shoes. Come on girls, no more excuses! You can finally have your cake and eat it too with shoes that will make your feel look fabulous without any of the pain.

Beauty tip of the week: After a long day at class or a weekend without a shower, hair can begin to accumulate oil. To freshen up your look throughout the day pat the scalp with oil reducing pads like Noxzema wipes, to absorb excess oil. This is an easy and fast way to a cleaner look.

• Case EMS 'saves the day' at mass casualty drill
  • Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum to auction $1 million in cars
  • CWRU celebrates Constitution Day
  • Have you heard about women in liberal arts?
  • Reality star's "One-for-One" business model inspires mtvU to seek out "Movers & Shakers"
  • Sigma Nu fire ruled unintentional, sparks housing inspections
  • Speaker continues debate about legal drinking age
  • The new Kindle on campus: CWRU and Amazon partner to test the Kindle DX

• Close wins on crooked river
  • Hard work paying off as conference play nears
  • Spartan Spotlight: Mike Vaughn
  • What if Browns were subject to a blackout?

• Crossword Solution
  • Sudoku Solution

• Editorial: Doc Oc memorial needs identification, context
  • Genocide rape should be treated as weapon of mass destruction
  • Large debates over drinking age missing the point
  • Legalizing drugs: a practical solution
  • Lifestyle changes for a green campus
  • Observer fails to acknowledge event programmers
  • State your case: What do you do with your favorite textbook?

• Case Swing Club dances the night away with jazz quartet
  • Finding ways around being broke
  • Hitting the Spot: The Jackie Warren Trio
  • Jolly Scholar hosts weekly live music for CWRU musicians
  • Overheard at Case
  • Phish herald triumphant return with Joy-ful new album
  • Rising alternative hip-hop artist Kid Cudi to headline UPB Fall Concert
  • Shoes: strut your way to comfortable, fashion-forward style
  • The latest independent release roundup
  • Zombies take over Lakewood for bi-annual Cleveland Charity Zombie Walk

Cross Country

• Simpson gets win at Calvin

Football

• Spartans jump out to 41-0 lead against Yeomen, improve to 3-0

Sex and Dating

• Handling the aftermath

Soccer

• Spartans come out fast, but Lions escape with win
  • Team jelling after slow start

Worst Case Scenario

• The Worst Case Scenario