• Football
    • Soccer
    • Spartan Spotlight

Fantasy Focus

Some sleepers, studs for your draft

Kabir Gulati

Issue date: 9/4/09 Section: Sports
It's time for baseball to take a backseat. Who really cares about basketball right now? And hockey….psht, please. The men of the NFL are back in town and its time for fantasy freaks to study up about studs, sleepers, and suckers. Having had two of my three drafts this past weekend, I have some tips at each position that might help you stop being the annual laughing stock of your league and rise to the cream of the crop.

QB

Drew Brees - NO Saints - Believe in Brees. That's a motto for fantasy managers to live by. He has single-handedly ripped me apart and made my team year after year; whether it be by him or one of his receivers. He has had another year to gel with his young receivers, and Jeremy Shockey is completely healthy and ready to rage on the NFC South. Most importantly, remember that Reggie Bush isn't a 25 carry-a-game back, rather he excels at taking little swing patterns and screen plays the distance which racks up easy yards and scores for Brees. Pick him early and never let him go.

RB

Cedric Benson - CIN Bengals - Now everyone knows about all the major backs in the league but I'm not here to tell you about the obvious. Benson heads into the '10 season as the featured back for the Bungles which is important because I would prefer him over a back that is in a two-or-three committee system, i.e. Laurence Maroney. Also, the change of scenery from Chicago to Cincinnati really helped him and it seems as though he will be able to finally reach his potential everyone saw in him as the fourth pick of the draft.
Felix Jones - DAL Cowboys - Though Jones is in competition for carries with Marion Barber, he is very solid mid-round pick. Not only does he have the potential to win over the starting position and he has the speed to break long runs and touchdowns, he will also be able to pick up points for you with the return game and I would predict at least two or three return touchdowns for
Jones this year.

TE

Greg Olsen - CHI Bears - I can say without a doubt that if Olsen stays healthy, he will be the best tight end in the league this year. Olsen and Jay Cutler have a great connection and he seems to be the favorite target. With many weapons around him such as Hester as the deep threat, Forte on the ground, and Earl Bennett reconnecting with his former college quarterback (five former Vanderbilt players play for the Bears this year) defenses will be spread thin and Olsen will find gaps to get his yards and TDs in the red zone.

DEF

CHI Bears DEF - Last year was an awful year for the Bears defense. They looked old, tired, weak, and the secondary was a joke, giving up big play after big play. But it looks as though the old men have taken a sip from the fountain of youth and are looking to light people up this year. The addition of Piso Tinoisamoa adds a lot of speed at the LB position and Tommie Harris has something to prove. Though there are still no big names in the secondary, the Bears safeties might just make a name for themselves by the end of the year.

• A conversation with Major Jason Winterle
  • Budgeting 101 for college students
  • Case holds first annual Campus Security Fair
  • Case Western prepares to serve community
  • Have you heard about ACM?
  • Nursing "freshmen stimulus" provides support for incoming students, provokes unease
  • USG Briefs

• Club sports & news
  • Fantasy Football
  • Gameday
  • Volleyball goes 3-1 at Wooster
  • Women's soccer takes two at JCU

• Crossword Solution
  • Maze Solution
  • Sudoku Solutions

• "You lie:" an old-fashioned outburst
  • Buenos Aires: most romantic city?
  • Editorial: Student groups deserve credit for programming
  • Learning to be responsible
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Letters to the Editor
  • State your case photos: What would you do with an Inamori Ethics Prize?

• All's Well in CWRU MFA/Cleveland Playhouse production of overlooked Shakespeare classic
  • Dittrick Medical History Center reopens exhibit on history of contraception
  • Fashion for the frugal: look stylish on a budget
  • Hitting the Spot: The Antlers
  • Making breakfast work for you: getting a grip on granola
  • Nintendo DS game mixes strategy and traditional RPG elements for unique, timesaving gameplay
  • The Worst Case Scenario
  • Trail of Dead coming to Cleveland

Football

• Whalen becomes all-time passing leader in win over Rochester

Sex and Dating

• Executing the first date

Soccer

• Stopped at nothing: Spartans shut out No. 21 Ohio Northern

Spartan Spotlight

• Spartan Spotlight: Andrea Wojtowicz