• Football
    • Soccer
    • Spartan Spotlight

Case Western undergrad program ranked No.41 in the nation; No.1 in Ohio

Amanda Brown

Case Western Reserve University has been ranked No.41 on U.S. News & World Report's annual list of "America's Best Colleges." For 14 years, Case has made the prestigious list and continues to be the only institute in Ohio to be counted among the top 50.

U.S. News & World Report looks at public and private universities across the country, as well as well as schools that specialize in areas such as engineering, business, fine, and performing arts. With over 250 schools in the nation to consider, academic quality is judged using 15 different indicators.

Two of Case's individual programs received additional high marks on the survey. The Weatherhead School of Management's business program is ranked No.31 in the nation, and the undergraduate engineering program is No.45. U.S. News & World Report has also rated Case's alumni giving at No.59, which comes at a time when the university has seen its largest annual fund drive in history.

President Barbara R. Snyder was optimistic about the report. "I am confident that the strategies we are pursuing to enhance our research and teaching will yield greater progress in the years to come," she said via press release.

The positive media attention that the annual report brings to Case could help potential students focus on the advantages the school has. "It's just overall an intellectual level that is higher than at most schools. I feel like they pay attention to students more and they care about where they are going in life and what they are going to do with their education," said Amy Christianson, a freshman history and art history double major.

The ability to do more with an education is something that is important to many members of the campus community. "I think that the fact that Case is high-ranking means that it is a good program and it'll help me get into medical school," said Sam O'Neil, a junior pre-med student. The rankings could have another effect on Case, as the Department of Education and various associations employ the same standards that U.S. News & World Report uses to find college rankings to determine eligibility for grant money. "All these things are interactive and yeah, I think that increasingly people are trying to clarify things such as ranking and that is having a bigger and bigger influence on where the money goes," said art history professor Henry Adams.

The U.S. News & World Report's annual list can help bring attention to Case from students across the country, but it is not the only thing that could be influential in making a decision to attend a certain university.

"I think these general rankings have some influence although I think most students are looking at specifically a subject area that they are interested in or a career path they are interested in pursuing," explained Adams, "so I think that's also a pretty important factor."

• A conversation with Major Jason Winterle
  • Budgeting 101 for college students
  • Case holds first annual Campus Security Fair
  • Case Western prepares to serve community
  • Have you heard about ACM?
  • Nursing "freshmen stimulus" provides support for incoming students, provokes unease
  • USG Briefs

• Club sports & news
  • Fantasy Football
  • Gameday
  • Volleyball goes 3-1 at Wooster
  • Women's soccer takes two at JCU

• Crossword Solution
  • Maze Solution
  • Sudoku Solutions

• "You lie:" an old-fashioned outburst
  • Buenos Aires: most romantic city?
  • Editorial: Student groups deserve credit for programming
  • Learning to be responsible
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Letters to the Editor
  • State your case photos: What would you do with an Inamori Ethics Prize?

• All's Well in CWRU MFA/Cleveland Playhouse production of overlooked Shakespeare classic
  • Dittrick Medical History Center reopens exhibit on history of contraception
  • Fashion for the frugal: look stylish on a budget
  • Hitting the Spot: The Antlers
  • Making breakfast work for you: getting a grip on granola
  • Nintendo DS game mixes strategy and traditional RPG elements for unique, timesaving gameplay
  • The Worst Case Scenario
  • Trail of Dead coming to Cleveland

Football

• Whalen becomes all-time passing leader in win over Rochester

Sex and Dating

• Executing the first date

Soccer

• Stopped at nothing: Spartans shut out No. 21 Ohio Northern

Spartan Spotlight

• Spartan Spotlight: Andrea Wojtowicz