• Football
    • Soccer
    • Spartan Spotlight

Eating well and inexpensively still possible despite economic recession

Kathyrn Coakley

In this economy…

You've heard it a thousand times…in the news, magazines, even everyday conversation. But what can you actually do about it?

A college student's budget should allot 11-20% of income to food, including groceries and dining out. This large category of spending actually leaves much room for cutting costs, a true feat in "this economy." How? Many assume fast-food value menus are the way to go. You'd be surprised.

Bon Appetit. Those of you who enjoy campus dining services may not be concerned with saving money on food. However, Bon Appetit makes responsible eating easy. Look for icons in Fribley and Leutner depicting local "Farm to Fork" options and "In Balance," "Low Fat," and "Organic" choices. These icons can help you eat healthy and support the local economy.

Create a Plate. Fill 2/3 of your plate with plant-based products. Fruits, vegetables, and grains contain more vitamins and minerals and cost less than animal-derived products. Black beans and rice, tomato soup, carrots, and a banana costs only $1.33. It's a filling lunch, with 11 grams of fiber, 100% of the daily recommendation for Vitamin A and C, and plenty of Vitamin B6, folate, niacin, phosphorus, zinc, iron, and potassium. Compare this to a fast-food submarine sandwich, bag of chips, and 20-fluid ounce soda. It'll cost $7.97 and contains few vitamins or minerals while providing 70% of the daily recommendation for saturated fat and 100% of sodium. Yikes.

Outsmart the Grocery Store. Such is the hot topic of a host of books like Shop Smart, Save More by Teri Gault and Better Groceries for Less Cash by Randall Putala. Stores are built to psychologically encourage consumers to purchase unhealthy, expensive products. Notice how the perimeter of grocery stores contains nutritious options (produce, dairy, lean meat) while the aisles are packed with (mostly) junk. Find yourself reaching for items at eye-level instead of searching the top and bottom shelves? Warning: these are the most expensive and least nutritious! Come to the grocery armed with a list of what you need and don't stray. This will prevent excess spending and help maintain that food budget.

Buy Local. The Green Revolution is upon us and what better way to join than contributing to agricultural sustainability? Not only will you be minimizing your carbon footprint, you will also be purchasing fresh, nutritious food at a lower cost. Remember, in-season is the way to go. Try the Farmer's market beside the Biomedical Research Building (BRB) at Case every Friday from 11:30a.m.-2:30p.m. through September or Cleveland Clinic's Farmer's market.

There are also several U-Pick locations for seasonal fruits and vegetables in Cuyahoga County. Check out http://www.pickyourown.org/OHcleveland.htm for a full list.

Put these tips into practice and you're bound to keep your wallet and waistline in check this school year.

• A conversation with Major Jason Winterle
  • Budgeting 101 for college students
  • Case holds first annual Campus Security Fair
  • Case Western prepares to serve community
  • Have you heard about ACM?
  • Nursing "freshmen stimulus" provides support for incoming students, provokes unease
  • USG Briefs

• Club sports & news
  • Fantasy Football
  • Gameday
  • Volleyball goes 3-1 at Wooster
  • Women's soccer takes two at JCU

• Crossword Solution
  • Maze Solution
  • Sudoku Solutions

• "You lie:" an old-fashioned outburst
  • Buenos Aires: most romantic city?
  • Editorial: Student groups deserve credit for programming
  • Learning to be responsible
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Letters to the Editor
  • State your case photos: What would you do with an Inamori Ethics Prize?

• All's Well in CWRU MFA/Cleveland Playhouse production of overlooked Shakespeare classic
  • Dittrick Medical History Center reopens exhibit on history of contraception
  • Fashion for the frugal: look stylish on a budget
  • Hitting the Spot: The Antlers
  • Making breakfast work for you: getting a grip on granola
  • Nintendo DS game mixes strategy and traditional RPG elements for unique, timesaving gameplay
  • The Worst Case Scenario
  • Trail of Dead coming to Cleveland

Football

• Whalen becomes all-time passing leader in win over Rochester

Sex and Dating

• Executing the first date

Soccer

• Stopped at nothing: Spartans shut out No. 21 Ohio Northern

Spartan Spotlight

• Spartan Spotlight: Andrea Wojtowicz